surface cracks in the surface

Home Forums General Discussion surface cracks in the surface

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bailey
    Participant

@bailey

I just noticed a fracture crack around the window mounting bracket.  I wonder if there  is someway to be sure it does not get any longer?

I really hate it as it is the only crack I have noticed. Not very wide but I worry that it may get wider.  Thanks

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Bailey — I would think the stress crack would be in the gel-coat not the fiber-glass you can get repair kits at most boat shops in small tubes even in different color combinations to make your own color  If you need to repair the fiber-glass even wal-mart has the kits— simple to work with but remember to use gloves it is VERRY sticky .. best of luck 

Dan

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Back when I had my boat we were always pulling on the windshield to get in or out. About every two or three years the cracks would appear around the support uprights. I had a friend that was real good at this. I often stood with a brown bottle in hand watching. He would first cut out a valley directly on the crack to make sure that tere wasn’t tunneling underneath. In this case crack exposure is a good thing, He would use one of those Dremel hand tools. It was always a valley(cut at 45 not a canyon cut at 90) Then he would Clean it up and prep fot new resin (this is where it starts to get foggy we were in a garage with door closed) Remember the fumes are bad for you ventilate. He would the mix the epoxy and apply it to the crack using a credit card.(I imagine they make squegees for this purpose today.) Allow to set about 2 browns, then sand with 200 wet then finish with 400 wet. Then we would venture out for the evening.

Usually by the weekend he would have come back with some gel-coat and sealer and finished the job. He loved Water sking. So thats how we did it good luck.

Do you smell that? It’s fiberglass resin, son. Nothing else on the world smells like that. I love the smell of resin in the morning.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Richard, I love the way you measure time!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I agree

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.