Tire sizes — I need wider shorter tires, I think

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Tire sizes — I need wider shorter tires, I think

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I recently replaced the front and rear shocks on my BCW EMMA to try to fix the car wandering — everything else in the front end (inner and outer tie rod ends, steering damper, steering linkage coupling, sway bar installed) was changed over the course of the last year so the shocks were my next step.

Now the car runs straight but still is just not quite able to handle all of the horsepower that I’m putting to the wheels.
    So Royal suggested bigger, fatter, wider, better tires…  The problem is how to translate that into an appropriate tire size )height and tread width) that will still fit under a BCW TDr and not hit on various body parts and wheel drums and suspension when I turn the wheel.
    I would also need to go to wider wheels to accommodate the wider tires, I suspect.  I saw some 15″ x 5 1/2″ Panasport type wheels at CIP1 for a really good price  — not really “period” for a TD but then neither is 200 hp….
    Suggestions?  Any one running fatter, shorter tires on their TDr’s? 
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

I have seen those wheels on a TDR, so I know it can be done. A lot would depend on the offset and exactly how wide you want your tires. Also, nobody says the front and rear tires have to match. The rear tires can go quite a bit bigger without hitting on things and it’s unlikely anyone would even realize they are bigger than the fronts. You could always use spacers on the front, back, or both to give you clearance.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Mine’s not a VW chassis but I fit 15″ x 7″ wheels with 205/60R15 up front with 235’s in the rear. My wires have a bigger offset and I run only 195/70R14’s with them.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Jack is currently running 165R15 of unknown age (no mfg date code stamp on the sidewall) on stock VW bug 4 lug wheels.

They look good.  No cracking, good tread. 

But how old are they??  Only the Shadow knows. 

It’s tough for me to pull tires that look good out of service just because of age, but I do it. 

Royal2015-04-27 07:17:32

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Couple thoughts:

1. Since you’ve converted to disc brakes up front, be sure the offset on wider front wheels will clear the brake calipers. I’d suggest no wider than 5.5″ up front.

2. With the power you have, going to a slightly taller tire such as 185 or 195 by 70 series in back isn’t a real issue. I have 185×65 front and rear so I can rotate them…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

I hear you about not scrapping apparently good tires.
    But, the tires which were on mt TDr when I got it looked good and had lots of tread. A few months later on a hot summer day I went for a 40 mile round trip highway drive and by the time I started back I could not drive faster than 35 without the front end shaking like it was about to fly apart. Both fronts had separated internally. They looked good but they were shot. You can get away with old tires for a while around town but if you are planning any road trips, better have tires less than 10 years old. Also, any corrective work you do on braking and handling might be wasted if your tires are unstable.

Kall2015-04-27 14:19:45

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Jack! Put new 165/15s on it. Also install a set of caster shims. They cost about $10. Put them on the Lowe beam, between the beam and the frame head. Then have the car aligned with 1/8 toe in and about 1 degree of negative camber. If it still wanders put a second set of caster shims in, and spring for the long bolt kit.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

There is a smartphone app titled “Tire & Disk” that will automatically calculate variance between tire sizes. You simply plug in the two sizes and viola, instant answers.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Repeat: you do not need wider tires to go straight faster, more smoothly and with greater precision. Wider tires help in doing all these things while going around corners. Going straight requires (along with good ball joints, tie rod ends, etc) more positive caster. That is all.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey folks,

I guess I was not very clear in my initial post…my issue is actually lack of confidence in handling this TDr with its extra horsepower — 
    Part of my tire issue is that even though I’ve owned Emma for a couple of years, I have done little on her other than get her mechanically sound (fix carbs, fix sand seal, keep the oil in the engine, etc.).
    I’ve spent most of my time getting Abby sorted out and having fun driving that stock-engined car.  Now that Abby has been sold, I’m finally giving Emma her due and sorting out her issues.  I’ve also been driving the Bugeye more and comparing the bugeye’s handling to the Tdr (I know, comparing apples to oranges I’m told).
    So the last time I had Emma out for a long drive I was driving like an old man in a 1972 Buick.  I lacked the confidence in the car to go fast and tight in the turns.  That started this whole discussion about tires, tire age, and appropriate tire sizes/width for the front and rear of this 200 hp TDr.
    …and I had not even thought of frame geometry and the need for caster shims…….

After reading the posts I am now convinced that I need to get those 10 year+ old tires off of the car prior to Carlisle in May.  I am also convinced that I don’t know enough (have not driven the car enough) to worry about fine-tuning frame geometry or experimenting with various tire sizes on front and back.

So I’m going to go out and find some good stock or near-stock tires as a first step.  Then I’m going to drive the car less like an old Buick and more like an Olds 442……and see how it goes.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good plan Jack.

Ten year old tires are too old, regardless of how they look!

PMOSSBERG2015-04-28 13:47:18

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

New tires in the morning — Went to the local tire chain and convinced them to mount one of their new 185/65 R15’s  on my spare stock rim and then mount it on the front of the car.

We verified the fit (just fit in width) and I ordered a matching set of 4  — tires will be installed tomorrow morning.  I’ll then be able to drive the car and get a baseline with known good tires.   By the way, it turns out that the existing tires were mounted such that the date code was turned in — tires are dated 34th week of 2008 — not quite as bad as I thought but still 7 years old or so…  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I’ll see what difference new, larger 185/65 R15’s make.  Then comes the fine-tuning…
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The Autocross will be a good place to see just how far you can push it. it will be a safe place to explore it’s limits.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I just did a little light reading about determining when to replace tires due to age — according to TireRack’s technical section on their web site;  “Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service.”  As a final note Tire Rack says;  “Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years.”

That puts Paul’s comment above about tires 10 years old being too old….per the experts at Tire Rack (and the Big 3 Auto MFG and their European kin), those 10 year old tires may even be 4 years overdue for replacement — hmm I guess I need to go out and find the date code on the tires on my Bugeye……
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sounds about right, Jack. 

Personally, I’ll be looking for softer compound tires, not wider ones, as I’ll never wear out these in 6 years. But there really aren’t many soft compound tires made to fit our cars.
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Ho do you like the 185/65s?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I think they look too small on our cars.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ed…really?

I have 165/80R15’s on my TDr.
    Same diameter as original TDs, slightly wider tread.

Not too small at all.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Here’s how 185-65/15s look on my project…

Edit: I’ve tried every thing I can think of to show or link that picture from my gallery, to no avail. Sorry!

Kent – I was trying to fix the link and might have picked the wrong picture. Is this one correct?

PMOSSBERG2015-05-02 08:39:53

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

These are 165/80R15’s on my Duchess.

PMOSSBERG2015-05-02 08:41:48

Paul Mossberg

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Close enough, Paul… Thanks!

185/65s have essentially the same sidewall height as the stock VW’s 165/80s, with a tread and ground ontact more than an inch wider…

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Clarification: the 165/80s are about the right size. The 185/60s that a lot of the Speedster guys run are shorter and look wrong on a TD, IMHO. They probably work a lot better though. 

I would consider some 185/65s if there were any to be had. Who actually makes and sells that size?
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Most of the major mfgs sell tires that size.  Not that uncommon. 

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.