Tolerable TDr Wheels

Home Forums General Discussion Tolerable TDr Wheels

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Patch
    Participant

@rwpatch

Number one on my list of things I don’t like about my TD replica and the biggest giveaway that it is a kit car are the wire wheel hubcaps that look like they came off of a 1980’s Oldsmobile station wagon.  I looked at the alternates and didn’t find anything that I could both afford and suited me so I made my own kind of, sort of in the style of Dunlop racing wheels.

My car is a Classic Roadsters Grand Duchess that is based on a 1980-ish Chevette.  After a lot of careful measuring and head scratching, I bought some fake chromed knock off centers and the shortest chrome lug nuts I could find.  I had a section of pipe turned down to the appropriate outside diameter and cut to the shortest length to clear the lug nuts and had them welded to the center of the wheels.  I had the wheels powder coated in an anodized aluminum color and new tires mounted and balanced.  I used 3mm wheel spacers to ensure the lug wouldn’t bottom in the short lug nuts.  These wheels appear to be hub-centric and a 3mm spacer still maintains the bearing of the wheel on the hub center.  I’m quite pleased with the result.

Next on my list are the cheap plastic yellow fog lights.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Nice fix. Well done.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.