Trim Around Dash

Home Forums General Discussion Trim Around Dash

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I saw a post about dash trim so here is my solution. I used ”chrome” fender welt between the wood dash and the scuttle. It looks a lot like the original MG trim but is much less expensive.Just do a search for fender welt and several suppliers will pop up.Check out Ringo’s photo gallery as I think he used this to finish off his dash project.My apologies if I am wrong about this.I was going to post pictures of my dash but my camera got set for too many MPs.

I also used the wheel well trim which was referred to in the previous post on my ”gas tank” edges and as a hood moulding on the car that I sold. It worked well in both applications.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Larry

Yep, chrome fender welting from JC Whitney is what I used.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I used two 1/4″ wide with 1/4″ between along the top of my dash (see my photos), but now I have reworked my dash I am thinking of one that is 3/4″ wide. I need to verify that it can take the dip in the center of the dash top, it may not bend very well. I don’t bend so well anymore . I got mine from Advanced Auto Parts for $9.99 (about a buck a foot). My carpet is direct glued marine stuff and I used the trim along the top perimeter edge of the carpet. I love the stuff, and it stays put, looks like the real deal chrome. I also used it on the tank, center of the hood, edges of the hood and around the shifter console. I used about 40 feet of the stuff, inexpensive dress up.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ringo, Thanks for the verification on the dash trim, it finishes off the dash really well. In fact the entire car is really great!

James, you have done some neat things with the wheel well trim as well. My yellow car had a factory installed molding around the door edges that had deteriated over the years and when I removed it the finish was a different color from the rest of the door. I used the plastic trim to replace it and it worked out well. I think that London Roadsters were the only replicas that came with door trim .

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks to all you guys. I think I saw a fender welt on JC’s site that was RED. Thought that might be cool too. Since all this stuff is like $20 a roll I might just buy a few & decide what looks best.

With all the snow up here and me being new to the group (& to the car–I’ve still not got a plate for it yet) I’ve been really burning up the innerwebs trying to figure out all kinds of esoteric details. Last three days it was steering wheels.

I never even looked at a steering wheel before. Now I’m thinking about making one similar to the Brooklands 4 spoke. Seems to me a quarter-inch or 3/8 aluminum plate just like the stuff I got for the outboard motor mounts on the boat’s transom would make a fine “blank” steering wheel, with a little waterjet cutting. Then it’d just be all fun sticking some wood on it, right?

In case anyone is interested, the closest one to that I found to the Brooklands is SoCal’s “sprint car” four spoke. They come is 14 1/2 and 17-inch diameters, the smaller one is $150.

And we don’t need a hub adaptor, as they’re built to replace the old style Grant wheels we already have.

I really like their banjo style ones too, but they’re $360.

And still none of ’em are wood.

The other one I think is cool is the three-spoke banjo style from flat-4. Also very pricey, but also pretty close to the original TD wheel. Also, it appears to me that the hubs they “require” might not be for us. They look like they’re just to lift the wheel away from the turn signal levers & etc.

Has anyone tried any of these?

Oh, yeah, and the bonus wheel: turns out the 40 Ford banjo wheels will fit a VW hub with just a little filing. 17-inch wheel and apparently available in beat-up shape from bone yards. Looks like it’d be a little broad in my car, but still a cool hack.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My only advice on this…measure carefully.

Most of our cars came with 14 inch steering wheels.

The banjo style Ed mentions above is a 16 inch wheel (well 15 3/4 but who’s counting?).

A 16″ or 17″ wheel would make things VERY tight in my Duchess.

Another option is a Grant wheel, model 1052 (14 1/4″ with 3 1/2 inch dish) or 15252 (14 3/4″ with 2 1/2″ dish).

Grant wheels are not cheap. But they are among the best.

PMOSSBERG40170.6892824074

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Gang

The reason I re-did my steering wheel was that I couldn’t find a new one with a flat dish. Anything other than flat and I would have trouble getting in the car.  (All this holiday food isn’t helping)

Anyone found any wood rim flat dish wheels out there?  My chrome is getting real thin.

Ringo40170.7352546296

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

James;

Just checked you dash photos.

That trim really looks 50’s.  Kinda like the  trim on a diner counter.  Love it!

Nice set up of gauges and controls.  Really like the map holder. Again, very vintage 50’s looking.

Oh! thanks much for the Santa logo!

Ringo40170.7488194444

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ringo,

These appear to be zero dish. I’m not particularly enamored of the style tho.

And these (scroll down to Woody’s III Spoke)

Not sure about these, but they look to be flat or only an inch dish or so Klassix

You would have to contact Southern Rods & Parts to see if this wheel can be adapted to your column. Stock, it fits GM columns.

The Grant 1057 Streetwires Mahogany Wood is described as 4 inch dish, including styling sleeve. I think this is a flat wheel, with a four inch column adapter. grant used to sell a low 2 inch adapter.

PMOSSBERG40171.0017708333

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m getting better at this

Here are a bunch, but again, you would need to inquire about mounting adapters

http://www.lbcarco.com/motolita-mg-steering-wheels-and-bosse s.htm

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

13 inch, appears to be flat. Fits VW.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C15- 3325

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey Paul, thanks for the links. That’s very good advice re the steering wheel diameter. My existing wheel is 13.5 inches. It seems too small. I’m thinking a 15-inch wheel would look better, and that’s just 3/4 of an inch lower toward the seat, etc.

Then I noticed this: the dashboard in a 52 MG is “relieved” where the steering column comes up. There’s about an inch-and-a-half cut upwards toward the top of the dash. Nicly rounded, subtle. My BCW dash doesn’t have this. I wonder how hard it would be to lift the top of the steering column up in a similar way, then cut the dash to match. If one did that, then the bottom of a 16 or 17-inch wheel would be in about the same place as the existing 13 1/2″ wheel is now. One could drive it comfortably the day after Thanksgiving, and look through the space under the top of the steering wheel to check the guages.

Just a thought. I’m probably going to leave mine alone until next fall at least.

The wheels I cited are all “zero dish,” by the way.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Thanks all for the great links.  I had googled flat dish in the past and never came up with that many.  I may have to do some after Christmas shopping

Happy Holidays to all!  Ringo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ringo, I noticed your brilliant re-worked dash has the upward “relief” already. The SoCal “sprint” wheels, three and four spoke, are both “zero dish” and will bolt to our 3-hole Grant hub. The smaller wheel is 14.5 inches, just a bit larger than the “original” Grant wheel.

I’m considering buying one tearing off the rubber rim, and rebuilding it in wood…. I’d probably just ruin it. But I’m betting you would atually know how to do that.

Might be cheaper to cut my own though from a 1/4-inch piece of stainess plate, or 3/8-inch aluminum. I’ll be calling fabricators in the next few weeks to see how much that would be.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.