What are the Headlight Parts?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits What are the Headlight Parts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hope I’m not being a pian with all the questions but I checked the kit last night and I have the chrome headlight housings and two nice headlight bulbs (6014) but don’t see any way the bulbs mount into the housing. Isn’t there supposed to be an insert or something and a ring to allow the bulbs to be mounted and adjusted? Any one have an exploded view of the headlight assemblies? The Fiberfab manual doesn’t do this area much justice.

Thanks everyone. I’m proof that you CAN teach an old dog new things.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, The bulbs just fit in the housing ,there are slots in the housing that line up with raised points on the bulb. A retaining ring with a screw at the bottom fits into a groove in the housing and around the edge of the bulb and tightens  around the bulb and the housing holding the bulb in place. Adjustment is accomplished by moving the entire assembly  back and forth or by turning it side to side before tightening the nut on the big hollow  bolt that attaches the light to the mounting bracket. The wires pass thru the bolt and usually some type of flexible tubing is used to cover them between the light and the grille. Go to Speedway Motors website and search for headlights in the streetrod section to see what is available and how the rings fit.Larry Murphy40416.4118402778

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Larry nailed it.

I’m only replying to reassure Allen and everyone here that you should not worry about asking too many questions.

That’s the primary benefit for being here. Lot’s of us have been through this already. Please, nobody should feel bad about tapping into that experience and alledged knowledge!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Isn’t there a “10 Questions Limit”???  Just kidding

Ask on!

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Ok I got a question.

I’ve got a Ford based FiberFab,this past weekend I took the spare tire off the back, and looked for the engine but to no avail.

help please…………:)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

OK, Rob, slowly step away from the vehicle, lay your tools on the ground and keep your hands where we can see them. The nice men in the white coats in the car with the pretty flashy lights will be along soon to “help” you.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Hey Rob, I have a problem with mine too!

I need to warn Allen and anyone that wants to add the Moss Motors headlight dress up add-on thing (see my headlights in the later pictures), don’t. RUN away. The original headlight trim ring is an exact fit, when you add the Moss part, the thickness of the metal makes it too tight of a fit against the light bulb for the trim ring to get a firm hold. They may look ok installed, but you will definitely say a lot of words that are not in the dictionary to get them installed. When a headlight burns out on my car I am removing the add-on for good. I am afraid to hit the brakes too hard for fear the headlights will jump out.

I noticed that the tightening screw on my original trim ring is not stainless, and I will change them. Allen, in putting your car together, you may want to check to see if your exposed screws (not bolts) are stainless, my car had many that were not, and had rust spots.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Jas

I checked the headlight rings and there is a nice shiny screw and nut but can’t tell if it’s stainless, chrome or what. Oh and the kit I got was purchased by the original owner in 1983 and it sat, un opened for 22 years and then he retired and moved away. Sold the kit to a neighbor who stored the unopend kit in his basement for three more years. He bought it in case the original owner wanted to have it back. But he didn’t so I bought it Monday night. I’m the 3rd owner and the kit hasn’t been opened until now. What are the odds of that happening?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’d say about a zillion to one. It’s almost a case of ‘don’t open i; it’s worth more in the original box’–like with the allegedly collectible toys you see on ebay.

I never understood that concept. I mean, if you can’t play with something, what’s the value in it?

Anyway, amazing tale, Allen. I like your slogo too–“ordinary man into a mechanic.”

Here’s a tip from a guy who lucked out & bought a kit all built with all the original paperwork to boot: the original kits were apparently often missing a few parts. Bridget–if the check marks on the original manifest and the correspondance the original owner had with BCW are any indication–was shipped very light.

Nothing a mechanic can’t remedy though.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I’m with Ed, a zillion to one….probably the only third owner new unopened 1983 kit ever. Allen, there is more than a century of combined knowledge in this group. We’re like the Verizon commercial with all the folks standing behind you, except we don’t lose signal,….. as much . Post pics along the way. That will help document the build and we can watch too.
    This is exciting. I have almost as much fun working on mine as I do driving. It’s fun to tinker and sometimes improve and sometimes not. It’s an adventure. Not many people can say they hand built their own car.
    James

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.