What Color… What Color??

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits What Color… What Color??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Ok then… I’m getting ready to send my stock VW rims out for blasting and powder coating…

My intentions are to go with stainless trim rings and “smooth” moons.

Questions is, What color should I go with the rims?

The body of the kit is white, the interior is leather brown and the top and welting is tan.

Should I choose one of these colors to coordinate… OR… should I go with something totally different to have them standout? (Black or Grey)

I’m afraid if I go with white or tan the stainless will not “pop” and show enough… but that is just a thought…

ANY OPINIONS, or experience?

Thanks! Doug

PS. Allen, Your measurements and drawing will be out tomorrow! 😉

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Doug,

Have you thought about the standard silver that VW used on their rims? That’s what I’m going to go with. As for the colors you mentioned, black would make the chrome pop but I’m not sure how it would fit with the rest of your TD. Have you looked through our member’s photos? That might show you what you want. And thanks for the drawing with measurements. A pencil drawing will be fine.

newkitman2013-01-07 13:25:16

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If you are talking about these http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6737 the trim rings and moons will cover the entire wheel.

Paint color won’t matter much.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

No, I have a thin S.S. trim ring set that only covers the outer rim. I’ll try to fins a picture of my Superbeetle with them prior to switching to Sprintstars.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

When you do this could you post pictures because i to am considering this

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Black wheels are never wrong. The chrome will “pop” off them.

White wheels on a white car can look awesome too, when they’re clean, which is almost never.

I really like the silver and the original MG gray. The silver gives the least contrast to the trim rings but still looks pretty good. It’s also a pretty universal color. The gray is a bit more subtle.
    I would stay away from tans & such.

BTW, this is just paint, right? If you’re not springing for powder coat, why sweat it? Paint ’em whatever color you like, and change it if you don’t like it.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’d go with the stock VW or MG TD silver-grey wheels. Moss Motors has the proper MG grey in rattle cans.

But…

Genius answer Ed!
    Don’t like it, change it!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Ya, I’m gonna go the powder coat road for this one.  I have done the paint route many times in the past, and just never felt pleased with the results.

A good blast and powder coat is the way I think it will look best.  I was hoping I could find rims like the 14 inches bus rims with the round holes in the rim, but they are narrow five bolt… and I do not want to change the hubs as well…
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yes, the incorrect number of holes, not quite the right shape…. I considered this problem from many angles. No way to fix without changing your bolt pattern to 4 x 4.5. At that point the Nissan Sentra and other 15-inch wheels fit. It’s also the MGA bolt pattern. They have 12 holes (instead of the TD’s 15) but they come with the “pips” for the correct hubcaps.

Really, the VW wheels are pretty close. Only hardcore MG people spot the difference straight off.

Since you’re going powder, which requires beadblast prep, why not try paint first? Paint two each your first and second choice, mount them up, take pictures and ponder it for a week or two. Then send the wheels off when you’ve decided.

Or, there is always photoshop.

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Hmmm… I thought all the photoshops were out of business…… 😉

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

So, I was out in the garage taking s few pictures for “newkitman” and I decided since my toes were already numb, I’d dig out my trim tings and put them on the car just to see what they would look like. Mind you… I will either get an MG emblem for the caps or get the smoothies…

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Here is what they look like on a beetle with a new set of tites and rims.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Doug I’m using five smoothies and will drill out the center of the cap and add the MG hubcap logo from MG Magic. Should look great. There was an earlier thread on MG logos for VW hubcaps. If you do a search inthe VW kits you’ll see some photos of what several folks tried.

Allen Caron

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Thanks Allen! I’ll look.

Hope the drawing was not too crude to get any idea about the cushions. Let me know if you need more pictures!

Have a Great week!

Regards, Doug

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Drawing is just what I need. Thanks for the measurements. Keep up the great work on your build and have a great week. And stay warm. It’s kinda cold up that way! lol

Allen

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I like the chrome and silver look!

Paul Mossberg

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Mine has mg caps looks good. Painted background of mg the color of the car. It looks good . This past summer i was at a car show and this guy says to me. Are the hubcaps orginal mg hubacaps .I told that i thought they went from hubcaps to chrome wires not sure when.He said he was a hubcap collector an had seen plenty of MG hubs nothing like this.I explained to him that car was a replica not a original.That anything was good.   greg press2013-01-09 16:52:01

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

Has anyone thought about painting them red? Just a thought.

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

A decision has been made!

Grey!   I think… sending the rims off to the powder coater next week, he said he has many finished samples for me to choose from.

I will keep you all posted on the finished product in my “build thread”! Thanks everyone for the input.

Regards, Doug

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Smitty wrote:
    Has anyone thought about painting them red? Just a thought.
    Could certainly add a distinctive, classic look… especially if you added the narrow trim rings or whitewall tires…

undefined

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.