wild ride

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits wild ride

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

radar was showing rain 1 hour away so i took lil red for my late day ride. well as my luck goes, it began to rain just as i got on the parkway and was  enjoying the ride and the wild flowers. i turned for home and was going at a good clip when the left rear wheel came off.it was very noisy and i was wishing the car would come to a stop soon . when it finally slid to a stop near some houses and the wheel rolled up and flopped down beside me like roadrunner cartoon.
     people were stopping  offering help and i was still trying to get my bearings and explain why a wheel would come off and take part of the fender with it. and the rains came. i jacked up the car and found the axle nut in the hubcap still on the wheel. was able to get the wheel on far enough to limp home with a few good  neighbors following .        next day i found the brake backing plate and shock mount ground down from the pavement. not too bad so i was able to get the wheel back on tight with a COTTER PIN where it should be and epoxy the fender back as well. the rear bumper is still like a pretzel.
    there is a moral to this story but i dont want to talk about it

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Jeeze, glad you’re all right. So I guess there’s a reason those babies get torqued on with long bars.

Rear bumper is available at Moss. I seen them on ebay for about $90 for the blade.

This whole thing reminds me of a song I learned on the Speedster board. . .

edsnova40694.5188194444

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

What’s that song, Ed?  Seriously, I’m glad that you are OK mikeeva.. I hate to see a car like that mangled, but it sounds like you might get her fixed up soon.  My car didn’t come with a jack, so this is a good reminder for me to look for one to stick in the bonnet.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Remember, you’ll need a decent scissor jack.

A VW jack will not work. Without the steel body bolted to the chassis, the stock jack points are not strong enough to lift the car.

And check the lifting range and total height. The first one I bought looked ok, but would not lift the car high enough to get a tire off the ground.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed glad you’re okay and that the TD is only marginally marred. It could have been way worse. Like Paul said check the height the scissors jack will get you because not all are the same. I have a VW one for the Ghia and the Toyota scissors jack will raise the Ghia high enough but not sure about the TD. Once assembled I’ll have to give it a check.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

i do carry a sissors jack , a tool box , a spare coil and distributor (in case the electronic one melts) and yes, ive heard the(kinney rodgers) song.
    …..  “with four hungry children and a crop in thu field”

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

…Ya picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel . . .

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Good one Ed!     

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Oh, that made me laugh out loud!

Boy, if I carried that much spare gear and tools, I wouldn’t have had room for my luggage on my ‘bringin’ her home’ voyage.  Good advice, no doubt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.