window plastic in winter

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits window plastic in winter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@grimsby-mike

I had a new top made a year ago at a shop that does a lot of boat tops and this is it’s first winter.  One side curtain and the back window cracked when I was clearing off snow.  Is Victoria just going to be a 3-season car or do I need to get a different type of plastic for he windows?

Obviously, since I am posting this, I am throwing myself on the mercy of the group mind.

HELP!
    Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

I would call around to an Auto Glass and trim shop!  A boat shop is gonna give you the type of plastic they use in boat tops…  You usually do not use your boat in the snow Wink

An Auto Trim shop will have experiance in plastic windows for car convertible tops!!  If nothing else, they can steer you to a “friend of a friend”… That’s how they get most of their business, by referrals!

Hope this helps!

Regards, Doug
    Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I would bet it’s all the same vinyl, only the thickness may vary, and it all will get really brittle in the intense cold.
    mrlmd2012-12-28 15:41:15

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Just got off the phone with the guy I use for my Auto Glass needs.  He said the quality of vinyl used for rag tops is actually certified for automotive use where as the vinyl used in boat tops is not.  He did not know if this was a federal regulation or a state regulation.

He stated that boats use a thinner vinyl because the panels are much larger and usually are rolled up and only used for foul weather.  The thinner vinyl is easier to stow and is much lighter.

He did say, however, “good luck” with the side curtains in very harsh winter conditions.  All vinyl gets brittle in the very cold.  I guess it just depends on how cold, and how much flexibility you are expecting out of it.

STG-inc.2012-12-28 13:59:29

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Mike ,I was thinking would plexiglass work ? my windows are starting to discolor but it is more than 20 years old . I was thinking of doing my side curtains in it ,kinda like a Morgan forward and back sliders. using brass stock for the frame..  Dan R.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A good Auto Trim shop can supply the correct plastic. I drove mine for years as a daily driver. Parked outside in the weather and driven year round. Remember the winter of ’95-’96? The correct plastic will outlast the zippers.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dan, that plexi idea is doable–some of the Speedster guys do it. Lotta work though.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Well I have nothing but time now, it will be a good project. I have the plexiglass here from an outher project,Angry snaps and zippers are a painAngry i’m going to try it . and let you know .. Dan R

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

How are you going to attach Plexiglas windows to the doors and the top? 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The way to do it is with a flatbar frame like the original TDs had. Near the front of the door, on the inside, are little clamp plates like these. Then there’s a rod that fits in a hole near the back of the door. Between the two is a flap with a snap on it. It snaps to the inner door panel. These parts are available through Moss.

The top of the window is supposed to fit inside two flaps that hang down from the cloth top. A lot of owners mistakenly put the side surtain between the two flaps, but supposedly it’s to go on the inside all the way. Kind of a pain getting in and out with the hood up — probably more so than with the zipper.

If I were making one for my car I’d try to find a way to get the zipper attached to the top.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Ed ,I started to draw what I want to do on cardboard ,I am going to use the zippers on the top to make small curtains and attach it to convertible roof with zippers only about one inch at the top and 2 at the back of the door .The windows will be done with metal frame work,  and fit in the doors drop in at the back ,and a barrel nut and flat bar at the front . keeping the the snaps on the windshild frame .” that is my first draft idea” Dan R

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Hey Dan & Ed,

I’ve had a lot of roadsters and have been thinking of doing something along the sliding plexiglass idea.  I first encountered it in my 1948 Crosley (which was not a roadster) and then had them in a 1958 Bugeye Sprite. I would think that zippers across the top (and perhaps even the leading edge) would be good.  I would be interested in seeing your design, but will say that I never had any windows that were rainproof.  Some were “close, but no cigar”.  
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.