cowl brackets for TDr?

Home Forums General Discussion cowl brackets for TDr?

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I suspect that all manufacturers except those Roy mentions, use the same aluminum channel frame, basically ending in the straight legs.

So these covers should work for the rest.

There will likely be slight differences in the angle of the windshield sides. That’s not necessarily due to the various manufacturers having differences. But simply to the hand assembled nature of these little beasts.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Correction: My TDr is a Ford not Chevy.  CMC came with the cowl brackets when I bought it. 

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys.

This thread kind of faded out, does anyone have an updates in the progress of the home/small shop made units? I would add my name to the shopping list of waiting buyers if it ever works out.

Anxious minds need to know,

John the Brit

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I found a new use for the cowl brackets. Lamp

Harness the cables for the requisite kill switch.

😀

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

🙂

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Prototype Research & Development sells the windshield castings (aka cowl brackets) for $410.

That’s pretty pricey. But thought I’d add it to this thread anyway.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If any of you guys are still interested, I thought this was pretty cool:
    http://vinescope.com/v/2036

Save your empties.
    PMOSSBERG2015-07-27 10:02:41

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

Is this what I should get it that site???????????????????

Bill

This Guy Shoves A Styrofoam Gun Into A Simple Bucket Of Sand, The End Result Is Astonishing

Bad Bill

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You never know where this kind of thing will lead. Two years ago I talked to a couple guys who made one of those mini foundries in Baltimore. Now they are building GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS.

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

In the same vein (and since I apparently created a monster by starting this thread eons ago) I thought some of you might appreciate what my son has done combining 3d printing and casting aluminum:

https://jimvsworld.wordpress.com/3d-printing-carburetor-repair-with-pla-investment-casting/

-Dave

PMOSSBERG2015-07-27 10:03:07

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great work by your son!

Seems to me if someone would loan him a set of cowl brackets, he could be turning our copies pretty quickly at a reasonable price. Deliver them fully polished or deliver them rough and let the TDr owner do the finish work.

I’d be interested in buying a pair.

Do you think he’d make them?

Would one of you fine folk loan your originals?

Paul Mossberg

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I would not mind loaning my set. It would have to be the end of August before they’re done being used as cable retainers. Let me know.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Well I don’t have any to put toward the cause but I would be happy to buy a set if they aren’t exorbitantly priced. Seems like he’ll have an easy time beating out the competition though!

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

prototype research will sell for 50% of list. But get a picture first have an ideas most of his stuff comes from srconds bin

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Let me run it by him and see what he says.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Dave.

If he’s interested, please make it clear we’re not looking for any special deals here. Your son should look at the real time he will have to invest, and of course materials, and come up with a price that he will profit from!

Paul Mossberg

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Thanks, Paul.
    I spoke with him and he’s keen to give it a try.  I explained to him that the issue is working with car kits from various manufacturers whose dimensions not only don’t match the original MG, but even vary among themselves.  He wants to start with the dimensions of mine (a Duchess) and see what’s involved.  That should give him some idea of whether he’d want to pursue it further and what he’d have to ask to make it worth his while.
    -Dave

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I don’t believe these vary with manufacturers. These are a one size fits all part.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I agree with Bill. The frames should all be similar.

The angle they sit at may vary a little. There is some room for builder error there! But even that variance should be minimal.

PMOSSBERG2015-08-02 20:32:28

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Update on the windshield post end caps/cowl caps. I emailed MG Magic and  their reply is below. I suspect if we email/call them our requests, that should give them a fairly accurate number of requests. Who knows…it might sway their decision our way. We do have a large membership who have shown interest in them.

We are sending our samples out this week for bid to manufacture
    the left and right windshield posts again.

There is no other source for this part. 

We should receive quote in a couple weeks and will base our
    decision to produce the covers based on the price and quantity demands of the
    manufacture.

We will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks,

MG Magic

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Allen!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.