My First Show

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show My First Show

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I read about a Euro Car Show in Bloomington, Il; a city about 45mi away, and thought I’d go, just to look at the cars.
    It was a COLD (about 40 deg F.)drive with the top down! But well worth the trip. The weather was SUPER!
     When I got there, I asked where to park and the attendant said,” Aren’t you going to SHOW your car”?
     I said I hadn’t thought about it, but he said, “I think you should, it’s a really nice car, and you can get in FREE”.
     SO, free being free, I said I would.
    He called over an official who showed me where to park… Next to two JAGUARS! Both RED!
    There were all sorts of super cars; Porsches, Lotuses, MG’s, BMW’s, as well as Jaguars.
    No other replicas, though. Or even original old MG’s.
    Needless to say I had a GREAT day and met some VERY NICE PEOPLE who had all sorts of questions.
    Lots of them didn’t know it was a replica, and many who DID thought I had a very nice car.

Amor Conquista Todo

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Right On !!  good one Steve Thumbs Up

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Excellent!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’m jealous! Those are great looking cars. Glad you had a chance to go.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I would really have to change my preferences to like that car in the middle

😀

but the other two look great.

I just saw that model of Jaguar (right side) on TV today, was Chrome Underground on Discovery Channel. A collection of cars being restored in Brazilian jungle.
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

They are from left to right: mine; a London Roadster, a 1970 Jaguar E-type, and last but CERTAINLY not least, a 1958 Jaguar XK, which won their best of class and also “nicest show-er” awards.

Amor Conquista Todo

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I would have to strongly disagree about the Jag E-type in the middle – I think ( and many agree ) that they are one of the most beautiful cars ever built. I would love to own one. That being said – everyone has their own opinions about what looks good and thankfully their are plenty of cars to go around.

Thanks for the pics 
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

schu wrote:
    I would have to strongly disagree about the Jag E-type in the middle – I think ( and many agree ) that they are one of the most beautiful cars ever built.  

Agree. IMO, the E-type convertible is the sexiest looking car ever made…

I simply Love the curves!KentT2015-10-19 17:51:08

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Here’s another one for all you Jaguar E-types…

And a 1960 MG A. I wish it had older spoked wheels instead of the new alloys.
    Still a VERY nice car.

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

MGAs are really beautiful and getting expensive. I’d love to do one up with a cut windshield and no bumpers. 

Love the spoke wheels on them but those Minilites look great, imho. If I had one, though, I’d put a set of steel Nissan Altima wheels on it, powder-coated silver-gray. 15 x 6, with 15 holes and–with a set of two-ear knock-offs–the spitting image of the Twin Cam Dunlap wheel. 
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

being old school a XK120 had my heart as a kid and still today Heart

I still have the XK120 cuff links and tie clasp from then..:-)

jebarry2015-10-20 09:07:12

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

jebarry wrote:
    XK120 had my heart as a kid
    I can really agree on that now, but maybe not when I was a kid during the 1960’s. Cars of that time had to be futuristic, in other words like the Corvette Stingray (esp. circa ’70) for me to give them any attention back then.
    The Jaguar, pictured above there, would have been included in my short list of liked cars when I was a kid. I didn’t get the Mustang appeal, nor GTO, etc. Seems like there were very few sleek cars back then when the transition from curvy to boxy (or angular) designs were taking over the mainstream car market into the 1970’s.
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

You guys obviously don’t appreciate true 1948 beauty!  My first car (26.5hp, OHC, 725cc).  The girls loved it (NOT)!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Roy, you would definitely get some today if you were still driving that.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Roy-
    HOW FUN!
    That is such a COOL car!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Amor Conquista Todo

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I love the pictures! It makes me wonder wheres the style and the romance with modern autos? Its the end times when a Mercedes looks like an accord which looks like a camery. Gone are the days of knowing what was behind you by the headlights.
    Its no wonder people look at us like royalty when we pass them on the freeway. I love the feel of being a wolf and not a sheep when Im behind the wheel of my roadster. Its also instant credability when I pull-up to give a presentation for my company.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I don’t know HOW many Corvette owners have waved at me, as I pass them.
    I think, “You’re driving just another Corvette.There’s not another car like mine in this whole COUNTY!”
    Makes me feel special!

Amor Conquista Todo

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Over the years I’ve had many question about my car such as Is this a Rolls Royce . Coming out of Home Depot a guy says is this one of those 200 thousand dollar cars I see auctioned on TV . One time I’m at a local grocery store a guy gets out of his truck started laughing and never quit ( I think he liked it )

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

I have ’65 Cobra replica that my wife has yet to ride in, but she likes to ride in my TDr. Guess I’ll have get back to work on it and get it running.

Sam

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

the best is when kids  yell “Nice car”-Thumbs Up                                                                                                   the old guys probably cant see tha  well..  haha

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

jebarry wrote:
    the best is when kids  yell “Nice car”
    Yep, sure is. The interest from people can be surprising. I think it might have been an older teen or young adult who shouted Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and I didn’t know if that was a compliment or not!
    😆
    I don’t recall being enthusiastic about cars until I was in my teens, although before that the Odd Rods (had to look it up to know the name) gum trading cards were a favorite thing. How could it not be to a kid!
    I found some scrap telephone wire in my neighborhood once and proceeded to build small frames, with school paper attached, to mimic cars. Just sleds, no wheels. The back ends were a curved paper sail so I could blow them across the school desk like remote control.

Makes me wonder if all driving machines are timeless to most kids, or when they begin to think more into them and what they like. I had to be 10 or so, I would guess, around the time when I was wanting to drive too.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

ok getting off the  subject   but  here is  my first car when i was 11 yrs old  ..the imagination of being  a kid is boundless

My buddies and i found the rear shell of a sports car and dragged it half a mile home to mock up this old  classic

jebarry2015-10-21 15:03:49

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

🙂
    Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.