New Member and TD

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas New Member and TD

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Tom: I have a BCW but rear-engined. Your car looks great and so does Ric’s.

I have a VW build manual but of course yours are as different as can be. I do know a little about the front-engined BCWs from talking to another owner who came and went, ClockDoc.
    Yes, the frames are “custom” but they are pretty rudimentary. Simple ladder frame with stacked-up square tube here and there. BCW did build some at the factory but that was by no means exclusive. They sold both front and rear-engine kits. If yours is a factory build it will likely have some indication of same on the serial number plate, which should be up on the fire wall. Some of the factory cars were “Schweppes Specials” built for the softdrink/mixer company as a promotional item. There were supposed to be 50 of them–one for every state–but far fewer were actually built.
    BCW REPRESENT!
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Ok, if they sold a front engine kit, then there is some hope that a manual exists somewhere.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Wow both car are way better looking than my kit. Love all the real TD parts

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

You may want to see if the battery posts and cable connections are clean and tight. A little bit of corrosion, can make a big difference if the battery will charge and start. You might also check to be sure the battery has the proper level of water in it. Also be sure that you have a good ground to the starter, as frame ground connections also become loose or corroded as well. I like your luggage rack, looks like the ones on the orginal TDs. You might try to raise and center the third brake light above the spare tire, and mount it on the gas tank cover. This really is a great safety alert light due to the small size of your tail lights.

Good luck with your projects, have fun, and be safe!

Dave 🙂

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

I have a Chevette frame at home in Washington I will not be using it and can give dimention? It does use chevette front and rear also coloum, shifter have manual too

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Sorry did a search for manual on Google and Fiberfab is what I have

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks Folks!  Much appreciated.

It does have a plaque on the firewall with the Brand and a build number, so I’m fairly confident it is a “factory” build.  
    I checked battery connections and other simple stuff but it being 12 degrees here this morning an inpending snow-storm, unheated garage and the electrical issue will either have to wait or be looked at by a proper mechanic.
    Rear rack is UGLY, when you see it up close.  Sort of out of proportion to the rest of the car.  Uses some sort of square stock chrome with wing-nuts for the outer rack but bolted to the body and bumper brackets below – I’m thinking about a way to detach it, but then be able to re-attach it quickly if needed.  I think it may have been some sort of off-the-rack “rack” they repurposed.
    I’m going to swap out the 1980’s third brake light for the one in the attached photo.  I may mount it elsewhere too – some folks have done it above the tail-light.  
    From all the stuff I’m seeing on the car (headrests, third brake light, modern backup light, modern GM seat belts, catalytic converter, othert pollution devices) I’m thinking the manufacturer was worried about all the new EPA legislation in the late 1970’s which would have gone into effect in the 1980’s.  Total overkill in my opinion and I intend to strip the car of most of it.

For those with the BCW – either front or rear engined – have you ever had issues with the windshield wipers?  The previous owner seemed to be working on them and right now they don’t seem to work. 

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The BCW I have came with VW Bug wipers and they worked–very slowly. I believe BCW cars all used the VW wiper motor.

The plinths leaked a little when it rained, so I blocked them off and put a boat-style wiper and original TD wipers through the top of the windscreen frame. Still very slow, and now the passenger side wiper doesn’t actually touch the windscreen. Very TD-ish!
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Ricrx7,  Somehow I missed your post!  Did your BCW come like that or did you modify it to be more like the TD?  Noticed the dash – phenominal – if you did it let me know what the process was like.

Other thing I noticed was the hand-brake on the driver’s side – mine is on the passenger side and I would love to put it between the seats or on the driver’s side. 
    Sorting out an alternator issue right now.  Noticed a comment you made on an old post re. the attachment hardware for the wind-wings.  Did you ever sort that out?  I’m missing one and cannot find a replacement anywhere!
    Also as a final (at least for now) question – what type of gas-cap does yours have?  I’m stuck for now with a very modern “EPA appropriate” version I want to get rid of.
    Tom 

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Nice day today AND my “Paco-No-Mar” license plate bracket arrived so I could mount the ’52 plate on the car.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Paco No Mar License Plate Holder.  I have a photo of one of those wood and metal TD’s using this.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Alternative Front License Plate Holder

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Back with ’52 Plate mounted as well.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice! Love that car.

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Great car and a big welcome from sunny southern California where we love our cars and women topless!
    I sure like the pictures. Have you named her yet?

Neil J Flaherty
    Participant

@profile57

Hi Tom,  I have a BCW with Chevette power.  Have owned the car for about 10 years.  It’s been generally great.  When I learn how to add a picture to this site I’ll get one off to you, and everyone else.  Most of the repairs I’ve encountered have been typical “old” U.S. type issues. recently had water pump replaced.  Nice part is, the parts are often available.  most of work I’ve done has been cosmetic.  As I understand it the cars were built in Northwestern PA.  Not many were built, before the gent who fabricated them died.  His family owned the injection molding plastics business, and were not interested in continuing to manufacture these little gems.  I believe the body parts are close if not interchangeable with the original metal.  As I understand it a short run(maybe 50 or so) were built on consignment for Schewepps  Tonic water as an advertising promotion, given away at super markets as raffle items.  I think, parked out front with the seat filled with bottles of schwepps.  Anyhow, my car was one of these.  I have the dash plaque which says special schwepps edition of a BCW MG Replca.  I’ll try to ramp up on the photo thing. We’ll be in touch.  Neil Flaherty, Gilford, NH  AKA:  profile57

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome! I met one of the Fusseneggers a few years ago at the Pittsburg Grand Prix. The famly still has a fiberglass parts business called Smoothline. The man did not recall how many BCWs they made. I think he said it was way fewer than 200, though he did say a lot went overseas.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.