New Member and TD

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas New Member and TD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Hi all,  

Obtained my new ride today.  It’s a British Coach Works TD with a GM (Chevette) engine (presumably drive-train too).  Still going though everything with it but most importantly it Runs/drives and stops!
    I went with this brand because I liked some of the features (among which is the fold down wind-screen).  Needs some TLC but the maiden voyage today was fun.
    Here’s a picture.  Would like to hear from other folks with the same model.
    Tom Vilardi
    South Orange NJ 
    87 BCW

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up nice!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Nice looking TDr.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Welcome Tom, I am sure glad that y all found us. We have a lot of very talented and creative folks here, and any questions you should ask, will receive a knowledgable response. Very nice car, and you might want to look at several of the previous forum topics in the archives, to help you become familiar with your TDr.

Have fun, and be safe

Dave

Lakeland, Fldavearoy2016-01-15 21:07:35

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks for the welcome folks.  Here’s another photo taken today

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Great looking car.  Glad you joined the group.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Original headlight brackets is a great thing to see on these cars, and that folding windshield too. Hope you can get your convertible top fixed, I’ve been noticing that tear at the bow from your other pictures.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Sweet…will we see it live at Carlisle?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks all.

@ LRH – I was critiquing the tear in the roof today and moving around the ribs (that’s the reason why the top looks wonky in a few of the pictures).  Put a few stitches in it to test how strong the canvas was in general and it unfortunately is not.  I’m looking at a “marine application-type” tape (think sail repair or bimini top repair on boats) to temporarily place on the underside of the tear to get a little more life out of it before it needs replacement – It’s calledTear Aid – anyone else familair with it?:
     http://www.sailrite.com/Tear-Aid-Repair-Kit-Type-A
    Fortunately the car also came with the full cockpit cover, so I have that option too in bad weather.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

I used a tape that was somewhat clear and really tough with a very sticky adhesive to repair an awning on a camper I had. It worked so well, I never did replace the awning. The tape you are describing sounds like the same thing I used. 

If the top material is still sound, it should work just fine for a temporary fix. The appearance will not be like new but the top should be serviceable.

If the top material is rotted, it likely won’t hold up very well. Make sure the surface is clean and dry before applying the tape. It almost takes two people to hold it together and tape the tear.
    Good luck and welcome!
    crash55
    Participant

@crash55

welcome hope to see it in Carlisle this may

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Vilardi wrote:
    full cockpit cover
    Don’t know if I’m understanding you right, a tonneau maybe?
    Or do you mean a hardtop by any chance? I know that hardtops have been talked of before. Found this just now:
    I was also looking yesterday for the wheels you have. Maybe those are early 90’s Honda Accord but I was finding similar ones for GM cars. Real question would be what the bolt pattern size is, I was thinking since your car is Chevette-based they must be one of the GM wheels instead of Honda.
    I believe my VW 4-lug 15″ wheels are 130mm across the lug bolts, none of those other wheels I was finding match that.
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Yes Tonneau.

Here’s a picture from today.  Took it out all over the place…. it’s been a long time since I’ve had this much fun with a car!

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Vilardi wrote:

Took it out all over the place…. it’s been a long time since I’ve had this much fun with a car!

FUN!!!:D
    THAT’S what these cars ARE ALL ABOUT!Clap

Amor Conquista Todo

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Ah, okay, I thought that must be what you meant. That’s how I’m driving mine now, just folding back the driver side of the tonneau cover and tucking it behind the seat.

Yeah, the fun factor hasn’t stopped yet for me these past 10 months. Probably partly due to not driving the car much but it’s so different anyway and I always wanted this style of car, so especially with it being a ‘sporty’ roadster…

I was leaving the top up all summer, trying not to sunburn. And it helped at a couple car shows when the clouds let loose some rain and I needed a place to stay dry.
    I try to avoid sunscreen and long motorcycle rides would get my face, neck, hands and arms if not wearing gloves and jacket, I figured open car could be worse about that. Going to try to stay with tonneau only until top is needed for rain.

LRH2016-01-16 18:37:09

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Tom, yes I have used sail repair tape on my 30 ft sailboat, works well for the last 10 + years. You need to be sure the underside of the top is super clean of dust, lint, dirt etc. you also can purchase from “Sailrite ” their single needle stitch awl. I have used that on my top, and Bimini Cockpit cover for the boat. Private Message me with your email and I will send you pics of the Vinyl Top I made for my Classic Roadsters Duchess.

Good Luck with your repair!

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Realistic looking TD kit Very nice! Is the hood metal and 4 pcs?

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Hood opens on either side with a hinge down the middle like a TF.  Cable actuated from inside for passenger (battery) side of engine and then a spring hook inside for other side.  

Drove it around Saturday (was warm here – in the 50’s) and by the end of the day the battery was dead (!?!) and I had to roll it to get it started.  Ordered a new battery because I have no idea how old the one in it is.  
    Very cold today (teens last night, 30’s today) but took it out with the side curtains up.  Ran just fine but then I noticed the directionals were not working (also headlamps and directional light on the dash).  So something is amiss.  Battery is dead – doesn’t even click – so again I had to roll-start it.
    I’ll charge it today and put the new battery in it tomorrow and then bring to local mechanic to change oil, check brakes and look at other simple things/fixes.
    So far no one with a BCW has responded.  Would like to know if anyone who has one has any of the technical or build manuals that presumably came with them.  Would save me some time poking through the fuse box.
    Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Needs alternator. There is both the Chevy and Ford manuals a viable for down load on this site. Not really usefully but good to have. Chevette is pretty bassic. I would have alt.tested or go to single wire unit and just stare at rewire of car. It looks totally worth it. Is the hood steel?

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

BTW yours is the only one I have seen were rear tires are in correct spot . Centered in fender. I have a chevette kit to but mine is the cheeper virsion. Buggy style windshield and flat headlight metal. Yours is way nice. Mine is going SBC for power

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks Langan.  Was thinking that may be the issue – I charge it – it runs fine but I was probably running lights, radio, heater blower, etc. off the battery and when I stopped the thing was dead.  

Yesterday it sat dead for a while in front of NAPA.  We tested it and the battery had nothing in it. Then it sat for a while and in the process of pulling the battery I nicked a metal piece under the hood with the wrench and had a ton of sparks.  Tested again in NAPA and it had some life.  Did a quick charge of the old battery (NAPA had to order a new one because of the smaller size) and I was off on my way again.  It’s so light pushing and starting is not an issue.
    Hood is all fiberglass but opens like an MG TF where the sides stay fixed but it does not have TF hood props by the firewall but instead smaller ones in the front  The side vents are also open.  
    From what I can tell the frame is custom made for the car – smaller steel box frame – no pan showing near the front wheels like on the VW’s.  Maybe that’s why the back wheels center in the fenders.  
    Shifter is clearly Chevette and even had an GM console tray around it (one of the first things I removed).  Does not have a Brooklands Steering Wheel but what may be an English wooden one (MGA?) and a bit smaller than an original TD’s.  Ignition is on the steering column as are the directions and high beam switch.  Headlight switch is on the dash, as is a fuel and temperature guage.  Speedo and Tach in usual places.  Has “modern” third brake light mounted through the spare, which I am going to swap out for a vintage look one and a modern back-up light which hangs below the back bumper (looking at options to replace that too with something less 1980’s looking.  Has GM retractable seatbelts!  UGLY!!
    Metal parts all appear to be MG – hood handles, door handles
    I hope eventually I hear from someone with a GM engined BCW’s, but any and all input is greatly appreciated!  I have to say it is really fun to drive with more than enough power to spare!
    Tom                   

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Here’s a shot of the rear of the car too with the funky 80’s hollow squre stock chrome travel rack that looks to be some sort of towel bar!

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Nice to see a center brake light, although a loaded luggage rack would block it from view. Sorry to hear about the electrical problems. They can be a bear to track down and remedy. Best of luck, though, and congratulations on joining our wacky, happy throng.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks Tex.  I think the electrical is just a bad alternator.  If it’s more involved I’ll share on this site.   

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Just got around to visiting the site and saw that you have a BCW and were looking for a response.  I have a BCW with Chevette running gear.  It is a 4 speed.  There does not seem to be much information on the BCW Chevette.  I have not found any manuals.  It may be that all the Chevette models were built by BCW themselves.  Whereas the VW models were kits by BCW.  Mine has wheel adapters that allow mounting VW rims.  I have a TD dash with TD key switch and TD horn/hi and low beam.  I moved the battery to the trunk and dropped the floor on the driver’s side to allow better access to pedals.  My problem is the Holly/Weber carburetor that I have not sorted out yet.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.