Quality chrome grab rail

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Quality chrome grab rail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Would like to add a first class grab rail on the passenger side dashboard of my TD.  Sturdy, chromed and solid (stainless steel might be okay) with a quality look to it.  

I have found an 8″ stainless grab rail from a marine supply on the internet for about $22 with shipping.  So far the pics of it look pretty good.  Just checking to see if anyone has ideas on types of places that might be local where I could put eyes on it before I buy one.

Thanks for any guidance.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Hawk,

I recently visited our local Northern Tools and played with this handle

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produc t_6970_200330949_200330949

It was very nice and heavy. I continued to look around and I am planning on returning to get this one, it was the nicest I found. Is this what you are looking for? It’s only $8 in store and on the web. It has a very deep luster to the chrome finish, I was impressed, especially for the price.

JasCochran40080.6999305556

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hawk, Look in my photo gallery .enlarge the rear view of my white and yellow cars , I think these are like the one James referred to at Northern Tool. Look at my BCW to see a different type that I do not know where you can purchase but are often seen on MGs. Moss motors has one with a MG crest part #229-100 $38.95 that is top of the line (at least in my opinion). You could feel really good about hanging on to this handle when Linda is taking the curves a little too fast.The less expensive one will do the job ,but I have looked at  mine many times and wished I had the other type but once the holes are drilled in the dash it’s too late to change.

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

There is a Northern Tools about 30 miles from here.  Will try to get by and see if they have one in stock. 

James – as you’ve apparently seen these in person can you advise if they’re as smooth on the unseen side as they appear to be on the top surface?  If so I may well go that way… 

The marine source has stainless steel grab rails that have only a single mount stud on each end.  Again, its hard to make a value judgement on these things unless you can handle them first.

Thanks for the feedback.  And Larry, now that we got the upholstery work done the seats and backrest have a bit of depression to help hold us in the seats.  Feels a lot better.  I’m planning to lower the seats a bit – as I’m weary of looking right through the top edge of the windshield frame.

Lots to do this weekend.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hawk, Great news about your upholstery. I’m still waiting on my side curtains and you have got the whole car done. You must have conections .

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Hawk,

I was afraid I would be arrested fondling that handle in the store in front of everyone . It was smooth as silk on all surfaces and actually had a good feel as much as a handle could feel good. There were many things in the Northern Tools store that I will be getting for my car, so be sure to look around with your car in mind. The handle felt very good and solid. I did like that it takes four screws/bolts instead of just two. I think the chrome on the Moss handle is brighter, more like bumper chrome and with the MG crest is a nice period reproduction, but you pay for it in $$. Lowering my seats made a world of difference (I also felt like I was sitting in the car rather than on the car). I lowered my new wood seat base by several inches and sloped it back much more than the original fiberglass box for a more comfortable ride. Pics in the photo gallery. When I was riding so high in the car, it seemed like a go-cart to me, and the top of the windshield was at eye level then.

The handle at Northern Tools  I will be getting one for sure. It passes the fondle test.

JasCochran40081.6639699074

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

James it sounds like I’m plowing the same ground you did.  I build my seat mount boxes 1″ lower than the original fiberglass ones but it isn’t yet low enough.  I’m going to lower it another 1 1/2″ this time with the back side even lower.  Tilting the seat back has really helped comfort for driver and passenger.

I ordered the Norther Tool handle.  If you pick ’em up at the store they don’t charge shipping.  I called the local store to see if they had them in stock, but they don’t.  Mine should get here in 5-10 working days! 

Oh well – there’s plenty of other stuff to do. 

I hate that I missed out on the JC Whitney 1/2 off sale over Memorial Day.  I meant to order one of the Retrosound Model One radios for the car – but kept putting it off until I realized it was past the sale date.  This radio will fit the cutout in my dash and has a bonus feature of supporting MP3 files on a USB memory stick.  I might wait until they go on sale again as they’re pricey ($279) at full retail.  Moss sells them for $249 but that’s still high for my budget.

– John

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

John,
    If you have any problems with getting the handle, let me know and I can pick up one here and drop it in the mail to you. There is a Northern Tool about five miles from my house that is huge, it appears to be a distribution center. The showroom area was a K-Mart, and the warehouse area was a Kroger next to it. Who knows, your handle may ship from our Northern Tool store.
    I had wanted one of those radios, but ended up getting a (cheaper) radio that slides out of the car leaving it’s rack installed with a memory chip that remembers the time, the pre-set stations, and the radio codes. If someone takes the radio, it will not work without the rack with chip. If they took the whole works, well, then it works for them . When the radio is out of the rack in the dash, it becomes a storage slot for maps, etc. I use a concealed behind the dash FM transmitter I plug to my ipod that charges the ipod also and plays through the radio and also transmits up to 75 feet from the car to a portable radio in our picnic basket, works great for us. The FM transmitter uses the windshield frame as the broadcast antenna. We can get a wireless music feed from the car to the portable without blasting the car speakers or other people. Have fun working on the car this weekend.
    James

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

John,

I stopped by Northern Tools this afternoon to pick up the handle for my car, and it is better than I remembered, you will be pleased with it when you get yours. The bin was full of them, each wrapped for protection. They also have very nice chrome air horns if you’re in the market.

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

James is spot on with regards to the quality of this handle.  And for just under $8 it cannot be beat.  My local Northerntool didn’t carry them, but I was able to buy it online and have it shipped to the store without any shipping charges.

One more item bites the dust on my to-do list.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Got this one on ebay from a guy in Colorado who casts them. He posts every couple months or so with a “buy it now” price, which he recently discounted. Paid $32 I think. Not as good as $8, but not as bad as $45 and got the MG crest and a pretty cool curved look.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Very nice. Curve seems to relate to the TD fender also. Great find, good price

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.