1985 BCW MGTD

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas 1985 BCW MGTD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

suntansailor39350.4474189815

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Picked this gem up on ebay for $3995….sweet ride. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

SAAAWEET!

I have a Chevette based BCW…partially apart and currently awaiting “Funds Recovery” from a nasty 2 year long divorce. 

The Pink MG’s pic is posted in the Photo Gallery.

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Thanks.  I am redoing the dash presently, replacing the pitted chrome parts as well.  Do you know where I can get a new top for it?  I contacted Tumacs who made them, but they no longer have the templates for the BCW.

Gordon

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Here’s a side view with the top up!  It’s a 1985 FACTORY built BCW using new chevy chevette components when built.

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

I have been looking for one that is in this kind of mint condition for 6 years, and just lucked out on ebay (it was actually listed under real MGTD’s and the purists never bidded on her…their loss, my gain!

Notice the way the hood opens up…no outside Jeep type hinges like other kits have which are dead giveaways to kit formats.  This is very similar to the original TD way to gain access to the engine.  In looking for a car I knew I wanted this type of hood access and also the gas fill on the rear of the car just like the original.  Also I was hell bent on finding a kit with the fold down windshield feature as it replicates the original TD fun factor!

suntansailor39349.6142476852

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

That looks nice I can not wait till my is home with me so I can finish it off.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Gordon,

Welcome to the club. I can’t say it as well as my friend Mark up there…but that’s a sweet ride.

Where’s home?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Home is Atlanta Georgia.  Hopefully when all through with the renovation I will enter her into some of the fairs/meets here in the south for fun.

Gordon

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

Gordon, I live in Cumming and just got a 52 MGTD “Duches” would like to share note and ideas if you are interested ???

garycoughlin@yahoo.com
    Participant

@garycoughlin

I have just bought one just like this.  I also have a fibrefab on a 1969VW.

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

Welcome to the club Gary, Where you from ??

garycoughlin@yahoo.com
    Participant

@garycoughlin

Plant city, Florida

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

There is a fella named Dave that lives in Lakeland that is rebuilding a “TD” right now, send me a private message thru this website and we can chat online about it. I am from Orlando and my Brother lives in Plant City. I now live in N. Ga.

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

I finished the rebuild finally and here is the end result.  I used solid Zebrawood to fabricate the dash; new steering wheel with MG emblem; new chrome turn signals as these were coroded; installed a heater core shut off valve to kill the heat that seems to creep up on you while driving in the summer; new wide whitewall radials that really handle nicely; and I put in a kick ass CD sound system (I hid it behind the glovebox door for security and asthetics).  I installed two custom speakers into the dash, and two more in the rear storage lid.  The stereo sounds great even while driving at highway speeds (I think I am 18 again!  LOL). 

Notice the “MG screw covers” on the yellow center gauge console.  I found those at Moss Motors.  Kinda cool touch… 

Lastly I installed two L.E.D. brake/turn lights (high up on the false fuel tank) as people do not see the original dim lights in bright sunlight…just like the real TD’s.  The L.E.D. lights make a huge difference for safety when toolin’ around on a hot sunny day, and you know people will see your stop lights on!

The latest is I have been approached by a local advertising agency this summer that does TV commercials nationwide…my car will be featured in 2 different TV commercials in late fall 2007/early 2008.  Look for them; one is a gum commercial and the other is a shampoo commercial!

Gordon

suntansailor39379.6003472222

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

This is the “work” in progress!  What a nightmare to figure out the re-wiring without a valid diagram…lots of trial by error by blowing fuses and bulbs…LOL  I decided to install courtesy lights in the footwells so they go on whenever either door is opened…nice touch for night use.

Even getting the new steering wheel was a challenge as I had to find the right look along with securing the adaptors needed to mount the wheel on the Chevy steering column (I also wanted to have an MG horn button that looked good and also functional, so had to install two horns in front of the radiator under the hood as well).

suntansailor39379.6027430556

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Here’s a picture of the dash with the glove box door opened to show the stereo & heater controls hidden behind it. I built in a magnetic catch into the dash so the door closes flush, but it is easy to open to adjust the radio while keeping one hand on the wheel driving. 

Making room for dash mounted speakers was a real treat, as you have very limited room to mount anything behind that dash.  I had to install custom baffles behind the speakers so the sound would project out in to the car.  These baffles produced great low tones as well.

(I found out the hard way that solid Zebrawood is a major pain to work with it being so grainey(sp?).   Next time I would do a Zebrawood laminate over a hardwood core and cut the production time by 66%!  I literally spent hours sanding this darn dash to achieve the look and luster I wanted.  Definitely a labor of love…or hate depending on how you look at it! (LOL.)

Gordon

suntansailor39379.6051157407

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

And the final picture is one showing the new white wall radials installed including the spare.  I have had her at 83+mph and it still drives like a dream with these radials.  I got the tires from Coker Tires in TN…kinda expensive, but the car now turns heads everywhere it goes (I was told the tires were one of the reasons the Ad Agency wanted the car for the TV commercials)…too funny. 

(Notice the L.E.D. stop/turn lights I installed.  It still looks quite original even with these added for safety purposes).

When the engine is cold, the 4 cylinder chevy engine makes a very distinctive rumbling backfire noise when downshifting to a lower gear, which reminds me of the original TD’s.  (I had a real ’52 TD and couldn’t go around the block with out my tool kit with me…always something needed tinkering with to get home…what a pain.) 

Thus the reason why I love this BCW…you can drive her anywhere with full confidence…even when I let her sit for months at a time in the garage under her cover…she just starts right up and goes!

Gordon

suntansailor39379.6077546296

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Gordon
    Participant

@suntansailor

Neil J Flaherty
    Participant

@profile57

Gordon

Your “ride” looks beautiful.  I have just purchased a “ugly step sister” match.  Actually seems to be in fair shape.  Like yourself have been searching for 10 or 12 years.  Actually, became a fan in 1953, when I saw my first TD.  When BCW introduced their replica in the 80s, I thought how perfect; same look (correct dimensions), modern runing gear, disc brakes etc, plastic body (no rust), no wood, how sweeet is that  

Was your car that nice when you purchased it?  I’d be grateful if you could give me your sources on the steering wheel, adaptor, horn button lash up. 

Not to load you down with questions, but, item two is: have you had any challenges with the reverse lock-out on the shifter?  My works fine some times, othertimes won’t press down (i.e. can’t get it in…, and other times it will go in any time…) Any help would be appreciated.

Neil         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp; 

Larry
    Participant

@larry

Hey Gordon,

You mentioned a new top. The fellow that replaced the top on my Allison MGTD is named Gene & is in the Detroit area & can be reached at 1-313-534-3758. He has a run down looking shop but produces some of the finest work I have seen. My new top is perfect. You have a beautiful car.

Larry

ford gibson
    Participant

@ford-gibson

suntansailor wrote:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.