3-gauge main cluster dash concept

Home Forums General Discussion 3-gauge main cluster dash concept

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Forego the horn button and blinker switch and look what you can do:

Question: What are the two little holes in center of the row of switches that look like RCA jacks or something.

KentT2015-02-15 00:15:11

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Those are electric outlets for your trouble light or other accessory.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed’s right. These were polarized outlets on T types, one red (+) and one green (-).
    Popular accessories were a trouble lamp, a map lamp, a parking lamp, and my favorite – a tea kettle.
    These were for plugs very similar to banana plugs.
    Since they were always “hot”, I used to plug my battery charger in to here.

See: http://jollyrogersmotors.com/store/p/452-Sirram-Electric-Car-Kettle-1950s-or-60s-NOS.html

😉 Royal2015-02-15 07:35:06

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Aha – auxiliary electrical plug-in! Thanks! This dialogue has been valuable, as I continue cogitating on my new dash layout. Looking at all the dashboard pics online, now I’m thinking of a hybrid TC/TD layout, with the large matching VW clock centered in front of the passenger, yet with tach and speedo in front of the driver.

KentT2015-02-15 09:55:25

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Your idea could work well, Kent. Easier than making a glove box too. 

Roy: see how I left that open for you to come in with the tea kettle? Please, please bring that thing to Carlisle and make it part of your display, at least. 
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

My thoughts exactly, Ed. Biggest hassle I see is trimming the glovebox cutout and door. This avoids all that…

Yep, Roy needs to display his teapot, and the woven wood picnic basket complete with crumpets and scones…

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Kent, if you bring your TDr to Carlisle, I will provide the tea, crumpets and scones.
    At my first Carlisle, I won a woven picnic basket at our Saturday night raffle. (True.)

(We all bring some sort of Speedster/Spyder/TDr themed thing. New, almost new or used. Then we buy raffle tickets, and after the awards dinner, we draw numbers. It’s fun. Some of the stuff is really quite nice and rather expensive. Schu “ended up” with a heavy duty sway bar last year. I won a brand new Gene Berg oil temperature dipstick sender 2 years ago. No longer made. Pretty cool. Lots of prizes books, clothes, art, accessories etc. Everyone wins something. Proceeds pay for the hospitality room. My first year, I almost donated a like-new reel-to-reel Akai tape deck with a built in 8 track. Bruce Stumpp who organizes everything told me that it wasn’t a good idea since the winner wouldn’t be able to fit it in their roadster and get it home.)

Ed Service
    Participant

@eddy

Greg Johannsen
    Participant

@gregj

Reading back through page 1 of this tread reminded me of my 69 Opel GT. That is a car I never should have sold.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.