a beautiful day

Home Forums General Discussion a beautiful day

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

60 degrees and sunny here in Western NY .Spent the morning getting the winter dust off then went for a cruise in the hills of chautauqua county .Temp of the car stayed at 180 degrees . Just a bit of information I switched to 20w 40 Royal Purple oil high in zinc . After many internet e mails with the Tim from Royal Purple and finally met with a Royal Purple rep. I told the purple people about this group and if everything went well I would mention there product. This is my observation of RP . The car ran at 180 degrees , It seem to have more zip ,It wasn’t as noisy . All of the above were things that the purple people said would be as a result of the switch to there product .One more thing I was in Wal MART in the car area and on the shelf was Royal Purple I asked and they have had it for a week and plan to have it

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Wish I was on the road. Good on ya, Greg.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Hurry up Ed …its beautiful today 

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

‘Twas a beautiful day Saturday  so I took the beast to work. Leaving work, about half way home the engine sputters and dies. Looked to have fuel, could hear the pump running, but it wouldn’t stay running. Came home on a tow truck. Strapping the car down, we snapped one of the rods that locate the rear. The tow truck operator was extremely upset but I assured him he did me a favor by breaking it on the truck instead of me breaking it when I’m drifting it off the exit ramp. Parked it late Saturday and on Sunday morning it fired up and ran with no problem. OK, problem must be the infamous Ford ignition module. Rewelded the bracket for the suspension, plugged in a spare module and went for a ride. Ran great. Another beautiful day today and took the car for work again. Worked on the road all day. Car was started and stopped at least 30 times and ran great until about 3:00 it sputters and dies. I plugged in the other module and the car still won’t run. Had some tools today, and determined that although the fuel pump was running, nothing was being pumped. Came back home on the same tow truck. Ordered a different brand of pump and should find time to install later this week. Gotta get her trouble free for the run to Carlisle.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Just for the record: what brand of pump failed, and after how long? I thought you’d replaced that bugger last year?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I did, just before the run to VA Beach I had installed a solenoid style pump. ( looks like an in line fuel filter) Going to try a vane style pump. It’s larger, but I have the room, I think.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Lucky you didn’t run into any rain. Doesn’t look like you have a top. And either my eyes are deceiving me, or your rear license plate is mounted backward.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Top was home in the garage. In 2000 Pa redesigned their license plates. The old one is used a backing.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

Bill,

Sorry to hear of your fuel pump problems. Did you use a block off plate for the mech. pump or leave it in place? Also how much ground clearance do you have from the bottom of the oil pan? I’m working on motor mounts now and my narrow frame is very tight for the mech fuel pump. It’s ok with the pan bottom a couple inches above the bottom of the cross member.

Thanks

Mel

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Couldn’t keep a mechanical pump to keep from leaking oil. As it was a PITA to change with the steering shaft in the way, I blocked it off and went electric.

Lowest point in the car is the front crossmember at just over 4″.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, it runs again. Hope this one lasts. It’s larger and is louder but it can’t be heard over the exhaust noise.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Nice day… Took the car to work. New higher pressure pump revealed a hole in the fuel hose that eventually would have been found by the lower pressure pump. Emergency repair in the parking lot at work. Undercarriage soaked in gasoline. Time for new fuel hoses. I think those connecting hoses are my originals…apx 24 years.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

Bill,

So sorry for today’s gremlin, I suppose it takes a while to find all after a winter layup. Good luck from now on.

After positioning the engine at a good height I may still be able to use the mech pump, but I’m becoming convinced to use a electric pump. Is yours wired to a separate switch as well as the ignition? What is the psi of your new one and is it within specifications of your carb?

Thanks

Mel

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Yes, it’s on a toggle…allows for key on engine off electrical work without the pump having to run (also works as anti-theft).
    New pump is NAPA part #P4594. 72 gal/hr, 6-8 psi. More than enough to feed the hungry 4V Holley.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

Bill,

A hungry 4 V? what kind of motor did you build?

Mel

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Lovely wire wheels! I was wondering what size and the make.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Engine is a 0.030 over Ford 2.3. Ford Motorsport cam, Ford header, Offy intake, 390 cfm Holley 4v.

Wheels are Cragar TruSpokes. 14×6″.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, those wheels are badass. Heavier than the cop car steelies? 

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Weight wise, probably about the same.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Another beautiful day. With no driveability issues, it was time to give Cooper a ride.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great pic!!!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Is Cooper a Golden Doodle?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

He sure is….four legged perpetual motion device.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Great dog shot. Wish my dog was not such a car whussy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.