AutoRéplica 50

Home Forums General Discussion AutoRéplica 50

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I found this webpage, while trolling the web this morning. about a MG TD replica made in Spain in the early to mid 80s called the AR50.  I lived in Barcelona between 81 and 83 and I never heard of it.  Supposedly there were only twelve made.  The link will lead you to a page in Spanish which I have translated for you below.  It’s worth it to check the link because there are some nice pictures of the car at the bottom of the page.  The bottom two pictures were taken at a car show in Spain in 2011.

http://www.autopasion18.com/HISTORIA-AUTO%20REPLICA%20(AR).htm

The AR 50 was the product of a prototype made from an
    original MG TD, which was presented at the Barcelona Motor Show 1981.  Francisco Pueche, the maker of the prototype,
    embarked on an ambitious project founding the ???Autoréplica??? (AR) company in
    1983. Its aim was to handcraft a small series of AR 50s, a magnificent replica
    of the legendary 1950 MG TD.

The body and mechanics of the AR 50 rested on a classic
    steel frame rail, it did not use a self-supporting structure, which was unusual
    in the making of replicas since usually they used the chassis of another car.
    The wheelbase was the same length as the original car, however its width was 7
    cm wider to match the axles used.

All the mechanicals, engine, gearbox, axles, steering,
    brakes etc …, like so many replicas of that age (in Spain), came from a Seat since
    they did not give too much trouble. Specifically chosen for the AR 50 was the Seat
    1430 for its length, front engine, and rear wheel drive. The engine was the
    well-known 4-cylinder 1438cc, 77 hp at 5400 rpm. The gearbox was a 5 speed with
    rack and pinion steering. Originally it was equipped with regular wheels that
    could be optionally replaced with wire spokes wheels. The top speed was 137 km
    / h.

The dashboard of AR 50 was varnished burl wood, full of gauges.
    The wood and aluminum steering wheel, made by Motolita, was imported directly
    from England. The passenger compartment could be covered with an easy to install
    top.

Offered as optional extras were side curtains, heating,
    luggage rack, radio wiring, and additional color options for the leather
    upholstery, since originally it was offered as standard in white, black, red
    and green. The price (excluding taxes) was 2,160,000 pesetas.  (I was living in Barcelona at the time and I
    remember the exchange rate to be between 93 and 97 pesetas to the dollar making
    the price around $21,600 USD.)

According to the manufacturer, their intention was to also
    develop another version using a 1.6 liter Seat engine and later to make a
    replica of the 1955 MG TF.

The original production schedule for the AR 50 was 8 units
    per month, which would be built purely handmade.

At any rate, the project did not come to fruition possibly
    due to the high price for the time, so after making twelve units, the doors of Autoréplica
    finally closed in 1985. 

Sabreur762014-11-08 07:51:34

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Dan Ogle
    Participant

@tex

Good article

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Very cool.

Thanks!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks like it was right on the money in terms of looks. The folding top mechanism is very much TD; the windshield wipers are where they should be. I like the tail light treatment too–two sets of ’53-style lights in red and amber so the turn signals are separate. I assume that was done to meet some country-specific regulation, and it was done perfectly in the spirit of historical accuracy. 

Even the engine size and horsepower ratings are just “right” for the car. An 85 mph top speed is only slightly ahead of a stock TD. But the 5-speed would make it a much nicer highway cruiser.
    Ah, but the cost! Double a nicely turned-out TD at the time, and a little more than the all-new Corvette. Amazing they even got 12 sold. Clearly, the time of “The Second Great TD-Mania” was just exactly 35 years in the past!
    Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Vicenç,

Thanks for taking the time to translate the article.  It’s a shame more weren’t made, because it’s a beautiful replica.  Would love to know if any of the 12 are still out there.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Thanks, guys!  Glad you enjoyed the article.  I am intrigued by this thing and I have the same question as Dave, how many of these are still out there?

This morning, I send my cousin, who lives about and hour down the coast from Barcelona, an email asking if she could get some info on the AR50.  She has some friends that are plugged in to the old/classic car scene out there and they might be able to dig something up.

If I hear something from her, I will post it here.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

The hood even opens like the original.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Here’s a shot of a Spanish magazine add for the AR 50:

The text reads:
    1952 – Do you remember it?
    The 1952 MG TD made by AutoRéplica, S.A.
    The Olympic Games in Helsinki, More than 5000 athletes take part – Elizabeth II is crowned Queen of England – Eisenhower is elected President of the US – Death of Enrique Jardiel Poncela (Spanish playwright and author) – End of the international blockade against Spain – British Leyland places the MG TD model on the market…

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.