Banjo type steering wheels

Home Forums Classifieds Chevy/Ford Parts Wanted Banjo type steering wheels

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Really have been wanting to change steering wheel on my Chevy based TDr. For one reason, the present 14 inch wheel blocks my view of the tach and speedo. For another the banjo type looks sooo much more classic. I thought a 15 inch banjo type would solve both problems. Have seen some being offered in ROUGH shape. Mostly from old 1968-1969 MGBs AND MGCs. I understand a bit of work would be necessary to adapt the hub and horn. Has anyone tried this ? I like the look of this one, I think a Bluemels Bros. wheel. Whats the opinion out there from all the owners ? Took her out for an illegal spin today ,it was great. No title yet. Still trying to work it through DVM searches to see if it is stolen property. Oh d#@!!&% it.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m a fan of the banjo style. I looked around for months at used wheels before buying the Bluemels replica. It cost way more than my budget allowed, but it pretty much bolted right up where the Grant had been. I’d love to see the wheel you pictured work but I’m not sure how one would go about adapting it to the Chevy column. I would start by seeing if the hub is removable.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I too also wanted a banjo wheel but finally settled on something else. I tried many different wheels including a Flat 4 banjo. The Flat 4 was too big for me in my MIGI. It almost touched my thighs.
    You may want to consider raising your steering column. It isn’t difficult and would give you better visibility of your gauges. (If you do this, be advised that your tonneau may no longer fit).

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

If there is a Bluemels replacement wheel, do you have any reference for the model or number ? I would like to check it out for looks. You say it bolted up like your Grant. I have a Grant now and it is too small in diameter . The banjo picture shown in the first post is just what I was able to find online. It fits 68 MGBs and would be tough to adapt. It’s what I like but it is not for sale. Some are on ebay for about 1-200$ Thanks

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

It’s a good thought, to just raise the steering column. I my case that’s a difficult chore. The cowl about the steering shaft is butted up against the dash where I already cut some out. That was a job getting it cut clean. They call me a wood butcher. Would rather have a go building an adapter for a better looking wheel.I wonder if they make translucent steering wheels ? But thanks for the idea.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Here ya go. Price is still the same as 4 years ago. Mine is actually about 17 inches in diameter. Just so you know.

These bolt up to the Grant Three-hole (i.e. early) wheel adaptor. I believe yours is the later five-hole style, but I suspect Grant would have a fix for that. [EDIT: Here it is, $16]

Basically it’s the same wheel as this Moss variant. But the Moss ones are rigged to bolt to the MGs they’re marketed to.

edsnova2015-08-10 21:18:09

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Thanks,Your right, that is pricy . Will have to get the wife to put in some overtime. It shows a 15.5 diameter but that should work. Thanks again. Will post progress.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Ed, does your horn button work or do you have a horn button on the dash?

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine is on the dash. But it could work on the wheel.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Here’s the 15-3/4″ Flat 4 Banjo with 3 spokes that Roy mentioned. It might give better visibility for the gauges. $250 without the mounting hub.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C38-I-235A

Their complete kit for VWs, including hub and horn button are $100 more.

How much space you have between it and your thighs is also a factor of seat height. If you have a bench, rather than split bottoms/bases, room is quite limited.

PMOSSBERG2015-08-11 13:55:10

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If a sixteen inch diameter wheel is too large, perhaps this 14″ wheel would work for you.

Perhaps not for Doug who started this thread by observing his 14 inch wheel blocked the gauge panel. But for many of us, it’s a tight squeeze under the wheel. If you want a banjo, I’ve searched high and low and this is the only 14 inch banjo wheel I’ve found.

The chrome is not a good look for a TDr. But you could easily install a leather wheel wrap.

PMOSSBERG2015-08-11 15:27:47

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

One other thought…when you are looking at steering wheels, diameter is only one part of the space issue.

The other is dish (offset of wheel rim from hub). Most banjo’s are flat (or zero dish). That could be good if room from driver’s chest to steering wheel is an issue. But some feel it puts their knuckles too close to the turn signal lever.

PMOSSBERG2015-08-11 15:24:33

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

The Forever Sharp wheel shown in the eBay link in Paul’s message is also available with a wood rim that has a mahogany finish … I know because I have such a wheel. I posted a photo of my dash with that wheel in another thread. If you have a metal VW turn signal stalk, you can heat it, bend it, and repaint it to avoid the knuckle issue.johnsimion2015-08-11 23:59:43

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Found John’s other post. Here is his Forever Sharp wheel with a mahogany finish wood rim

Paul Mossberg

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

There seems to be plenty of room above my knees for a 15-16 inch wheel but the dish factor is an important consideration. Don’t want to have the wheel in my chest. I went through an adjustment to the steering shaft length when I first built this. Would really like to take that Chevette cover and turn signal assembly and turn it into a more compact package while still maintaining it on the column. It’s just habit now to reach over with the left hand and flip the signal. Isn’t using a remotely located switch a bit awkward ? I guess that’s a topic for another post though.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

i simply prefer the typical vintage banjo i got from flat4..
    doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

That’s a beautiful look John. Is it a 15 inch wheel ? Fortunately you have a VW based TDr . Mine is a GM steering column. I take it adapting it was straight forward?

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

It is a 14″ wheel because I was/am desperate to find room for my 6′-4″ body and 34″ inseam legs! Adapting it to the VW steering column was not a problem because Forever Sharp sells a VW adapter. They also sell various extensions. Their website isn’t that clear so I bought an extension but didn’t need or use it. One thing I like about their wheel is that the hub and adapter and everything is all nice chrome or polished aluminum. I’m also using the EMPI aluminum shift knob and e-brake handle to continue the chrome look inside. The rim isn’t real mahogany but it is wood of some type with a heavy shiny plastic finish that looks pretty good anyway. I like jebarry’s wheel far better except that it is either black or ivory, and neither color really fits with my car … plus it is 15″ and I’m scrambling for every inch I can get.johnsimion2015-08-12 23:20:31

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Just curious. Is there provision for a horn button?

Also, in jbarrys picture it looks like the steering shaft is mounted higher in the dash which is a good thing.Kall2015-08-13 14:23:37

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If you search old posts you will find that there has been volumes of information regarding steering wheels for our Tdr’s. I am one of those people who went through this exercise of trying to find the right wheel for my Tdr a few years ago. In my opinion there are really too many variables for one to order (from a catalogue) and be happy with it unless you are just plain lucky. The very best and easiest way to ensure that you get what you want is to attend either the Carlisle Kit and Import show g in the springtime or to attend the air and auto show in Virginia Beach and October. It is likely that at these shows someone will have a wheel that you like. It is also likely that the person with the wheel that you like will offer to take it off so that you can try it on your car. I ended up trying at least 6 different steering wheels before I got one that I was happy with.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Soudns like someone should pack a steering wheel puller for the trip to VA Beach!

Not normally part of my travel tool bag. 😉

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I did not need a puller to put my new wheel on or take it off. 

Also, just saying: the steering wheel is one of the key elements of the car. Not only is it just about the first thing anyone notices when they are looking at your car’s interior, it is also the thing you are always touching when you drive. 
    The Grant wood wheels that most of these kits got are not bad.* But they are getting pretty old. And there are a lot of nicer wood-rim wheels on the market now. And the banjos too. This is the fun stuff.
    *I see them on original MG TDs from time to time still.
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

FYI my Forever Sharp wheel did come with a horn button and I had the car rewired for it accordingly. I really like Moto-Lita but it is a six week wait to order one from England and then no guarantee that it will fit (although if you have a VW and know how many splines you have, they told me by e-mail that they have the right adapter for it). I didn’t have that info handy and decided not to chance it.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

the flat4 banjo 15″ steering wheel adapted easily .I did not use the Flat4 adapter that  came with the wheel.

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Took the time while waiting for a title to build a banjo steering wheel so I could see the gauges. Found a 16 inch banjo on e-bay for 50$. Found out it came of a Harvester tractor circa 1960. A little grinding and filling and viola’..I can read the dash, not that it will keep me from speeding.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.