BCW Dash Project

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits BCW Dash Project

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I have finally got my dash finished with a glove box and a almost flat steering wheel.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That looks really sweet, Larry!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Very Nice!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Very nice work

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Great lookin dash!!!  Shoot I thought I was about done on Audrey… Got me thinkin now.. Maybe next winter..Montie

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Larry

that dash looks great and I love the color of the grain . what color stain did you use?

Dan

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Thanks for all the nice comments.The wood came from a home improvement store. 2 x 4 feet so I had enough for two in case I goofed up the first time. It’s plywood with one good side,not expensive at all.The edges were a challange as I had not used a router before. The trim on the top edge is ”chrome” fender welt.The glove box door trim is window trim from a 60’s GM car with the rubber that contacted the glass removed. Ringo suggested this and a local glass shop had a piece left over from years ago. I was able to use the door that I cut out so the grain pattern is not different from the dash itself.The is finished with MinWax  ”Early American” #230,rubbed on with a soft cloth.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Larry,
    Looks Great!  Another winter project well done.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Larry,

Who did you buy the steering wheel from?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Paul, I knew that question was going to come up, just didn’t know when.

It was on my 70 CHEV truck when I bought the truck six years ago.It was about four inch dish, too high so I replaced it with a two inch dish that I already had. The Grant wheel that was on the BCW when I got it was too in my face as well since the horn wiring was in the adapter under the wheel.I cut the wheel between each spoke with a hacksaw, sawing toward the center hole. I laid the wheel upside down on the workbench and pressed the spokes down almost flat. The spokes overlapped each other so I then used the saw to shorten each spoke so they would meet but not overlap.Then I drilled the spokes to match the holes in the adaptor. The horn button covers everything giving a finished appearance. Just another of my cheap inventions but it moved the wheel to a more comfortable position.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ah, so you’re telling us you’ll modify dished steering wheels for us! Nice of you to offer! Thanks Larry!

I have a flat steering wheel on my Duchess. I asked because there was a lot of discussion here a couple months ago about here to find zero dish steering wheels.

Would you post a picture of the center hub with the horn button removed?

Must be tough to drive the Chevy truck with no steering wheel!

PMOSSBERG40270.4003356481

Paul Mossberg

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Here is a drawing of the steering wheel . Hope this helps.

I would not try this with a new wheel,too expensive to risk.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

To continue on the steering wheel project, I did the same modification to a 74 Datson wheel a while back. It was a 15” wheel  and really felt good as far as size. You can see it on the white car in my gallery.

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

Larry:

Is there a trick to hooking up the speedometer cable? I wanted to have a look at the wiring to see if I would tackle a job like you did. There wasn’t enough slack, and the speedo cable was keeping me from seeing how bad a job it would be. I decided it would be a much later project and put it back together. Now the speedo doesn’t work.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Gene, I cannot help on the cable. Mark had already converted my car to the electronic type. It has no cable ,just wires.

It was nice of you to offer to check out the car ,it could save someone a long drive or a big dissappointment.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Gene / Larry—- on my speedometer cable it had an adaptor that fit to the speedometer screw on head —  to the GM cable and it would not work– there is a clip to hold them together very easy to put in but not stay in, it lost temper over the years and would not hold the cable end  and adaptor to each other, it is a GM clip —- but not being able to get to a dealership on a Saturday evening I did the next best thing I cut a slit in the cable end and clamped it to the adapter 2 years now no trouble—Dan, — Good luck– PS  just got back from the first car show in Pigeon Forge 4 miles of all types of cars on both sides of the road and this is only Thursday 2 days to go Dan R40284.7231944444

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Looks great Larry. I guess Murf approves too! Now you can fit a couple bones in the glove box!

Now for some comfortable cruising!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.