Bragging Again….National Champions

Home Forums General Discussion Bragging Again….National Champions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Congratulations to the Pride & Class of New Providence High School
    2011 USSBA Group 6A National Champions

The smiling, long haired blonde is the Drum Major, my daughter Lauren, of whom I am very very proud.

The band won their State Championships on Nov 6 and today won their Nationals in Allentown PA. In doing so, they received the highest score a New Providence High School Marching Band has ever received, a 96.6 at their state competition.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If you are interested, a video of their performance is here:

http://youtu.be/Q_rr14MY0EU

PMOSSBERG40860.939537037

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dude, that is awesome! Congrats to Lauren and the band!

Thanks for the link too. They looked really good. Covered the field, kept the lines straight, and sounded strong, particularly when they squared up on the final number.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Congratulations to all involved. This is fantastic news.  I enjoyed the video, too.   I like to see the National Band Championships as part of the Fiesta Bowl celebrations each year in the Phoenix area.  Hopefully they will be invited this year, and I’ll be able to see them in person.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

All that energy and i find it hard to walk a mile it is good to be young . “jolly good show”   to a proud DAD the camera work was not bad ether  !!    Dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Not my camera work (I’m always by the side of the field with the pit crew. mrchign bands have a LOT of stuff!). But I’ll pass the compliment along.

This event was our last competition of the season. We can’t afford to send the kids across the country. 🙁

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Are those the contra bass behind Loren? Bet she’s glad she didn’t have to lug one of those around. Great pictures and I know the feeling you have as a proud dad.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Funny comment about the contra bass Allen!

In our school system, instrument instruction starts in fourth grade. It is not mandatory, but highly encouraged.

At the end of third grade, the music department brings high school students to the elementary schools. They work with the 3rd graders, who get to “try out” any instruments they want. The kids then list their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for what they want to play.

The music teachers are watching too and have their own recommendations when they review the student preferences.

Lauren always wanted to play the flute. As the kids tried the various instruments, she got clear tone out of the instrument the first time she ever touched one.

Dad’s only comment? “If you are going to pick an instrument that may some day involve you in marching band, flute is a pretty good choice. because some of those brass players will end up carrying tubas!”

As it turned out, it got even lighter for her when she entered high school. Our band director asked Lauren and her friend Jill to play picolo in marching band!

PMOSSBERG40861.5426273148

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I tried contra bass and french horn in drum and bugle corp. Contra bass too danged heavy.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Baritone horn here. As a bugle it’s made like a big trumpet (i.e. it doesn’t curl around and sit on the shoulder). Maybe 15 pounds, maybe a smidge more, to be held in front of you over the 3 mile parade route, the subsequent 4 mile parade route and, once, a final 2.5 mile parade that afternoon. (July 4, 1981 I think it was).

I still have extra triceps bulk from doing that at age 14-15.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m a guitarist.

Wasn’t much call for that in marching band when I was in high school in xxxx-xxxx (deleted by our censors)

Paul Mossberg

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Trumpet player here.  marching bands from age 12 up to 21.  Tried the baritone horn in Junior high one semester and picked up the French Horn for the High School musical production of The Sound of Music.  Toured the USA twice in comepetion.  I would not trade those years for anything.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

congrats to the dad

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome back, Rich! How are things up on the farm?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.