convertible top keeps coming off in front

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits convertible top keeps coming off in front

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bud Hedger
    Participant

@budman53

I removed the top recently and when I put it back on, I must have changed something. Now the front keeps coming out of the groove while driving. I’m assuming that something needs adjusted (tightened?) but have tried a few things and nothing works. Any ideas?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Bud,

Early Duchesses had an aluminum bar slid into the pocket at the leading edge of the roof. I never had an issue with that.

At some point, I had to replace the roof. The replacement from Classic Roadsters had a flexible “plastic” bar in the pocket. The aluminum bar from my old roof would not fit. And I started having the problem of the roof pulling away from the windshield frame.

I added snaps at the top, outer corners of the roof (on the little flaps that tuck into the sides of the windshield frame). That pretty much solved the problem. But to be honest, I was never 100% confident in it.

I think the real solution would be to have a machine shop mill down a flat aluminum bar to fit into that pocket.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Jeff Troy
    Participant

@jeff-troy

I picked up a 1/8″ x 1″ x 48″ aluminum strip at Ace (True-Value) Hardware for less than 10 bucks. I cut it to fit the width of the channel, polished the strip on my buffer, and then used rivets to fasten the forward lip of the top to the strip. Be sure to leave enough room to get the bar into channel when you attach the top lip.

I haven’t finished the car yet so I can’t promise any success, but it will certainly beat the #%* out of trying to stuff that saggy lip into the channel with no support.

Jeff Troy
    759 New Holland Ave.
    Lancaster PA 17602
    717-917-3670
    jefftroy@aol.com
    www.bandmix.com/jefftroy

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I could never keep my top in that groove. It’s unnerving when it lets loose at speed. I placed a row of snaps under the top of the frame. No problems since.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.