Cruisin Weather

Home Forums General Discussion Cruisin Weather

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Finally getting some really great cruisin weather down here in Cajun Country. Both the past two weekends have been about as perfect weather wise as one could ask. Cool mornings around 55-60 and warm afternoons in the mid 80’s with no humidity to speak of is not only perfect but also very rare down south. Course you guys up north are used to that kind of weather in the middle of July but down here it’s a rare treat and I took good advantage of it driving Winston around as much as I could. Probably starting to get a bit cool up north but we have one last fling down here on the gulf coast called Cruisin The Coast. Check it out on their web site cruisinthecoast.com.

It’s a week of cruisin the 26 mile coast road from Bay St. Louis, MS to Ocean Springs, MS. There’s live entertainment at all the venues and thousands of show quality cars, trucks and what ever all on the road or parked at the various venues. No awards just good old cruisin the way it used to be back in the day. It’s week long block party and our last summer/fall fling before the nasty cold damp winter sets in on the coast.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

That sounds like fun for someone with the time and funds.  I’m in a new job, so I’m saddled for the time to just weekends off for at least the next year.  A cruise like that sounds great!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

sounda like a blast! We’ll be cruisin’ the TDs up here this Saturday–hoping for nice weather. Karen and I took Bridget apple picking at Millburn Orchards on Saturday and that was a nice ride along Rt 1 (the non-busy part) but a little bit cool on the way in and just a touch rainy on the way home.

Oh well, nothing a little apple pie can’t fix!

We met one of Karen’s co-workers who brought her daughter and a friend who brought her two young sons.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great pics Ed!
    And they fit behind (and under!) the wheel!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

yes, but they can’t see over the dash.

vroom! vroom!

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Our mornings and evenings are wonderful in the 70’s here in Phoenix, Arizona, but our afternoons are still hitting over 100 F, even though the humidity is very low, it’s still a bit too warm to be driving with the top down after 10 a.m. until the sun sets.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Monday evening was the first time in months that I’ve driven and found myself wishing I’d worn a long-sleeved shirt. Like Mark, I still can’t drive during the daytime without the top up — although here in Houston, unlike Phoenix, we always have humidity to deal with.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’m getting my fiberglass fixed up and polished this week and maybe next, then it’s the top repair, so I can keep the sun off my face when it’s still hot.  Maybe I can tackle the tachometer light myself.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Bill, are you going to cruisin the coast in Mississippi by any chance. Houston’s about a 7 hour drive but I can promise you it’s worth the time spent. Be good to cruise with another TD owner.

Do you do any of the TX shows like the classic up in Fredricksburg?

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

No, Tom, I’m sorry to say that the longest drive I’ve taken was about 34 miles round trip, out past Decker Prairie through thick piney woods on some winding county roads to a spot on the map called Stagecoach, Texas, southeast of Magnolia. No particular reason, other than curiosity about the name. My wife and I have visited Fredericksburg many times, but at a shade more than 210 miles it’s a bit farther than we’re ready to tackle in the Lafer — even if there were any shade between here and there, which there isn’t. It’s on my list, though. It would be great to take some calendar shots of the Lafer in nearby Luckenbach (http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/), and maybe cruise down to Lost Maples (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/) for a few more. The only shows I’ve taken it to are the Niftee50s gathering (http://niftee50ees.com/), which regularly draws about 400 cars just a few miles north of us, and the Houston Coffee & Cars (http://coffeeandcarshouston.com/), a monthly event about a mile from our house that attracts some major mojo machines (like Ferraris, Lambos, Maseratis, Jags, Bentleys, Cobras and Morgans). The Lafer is in no shape to compete, but it still gets its share of interest.

TexAg7140808.5700578704

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

We’ll be going to Fredericksburg next year. However anything over 100 miles I usually trailer the car. I love to cruise in the car but after a long weekend of car showing I appreciate the comfort of climate control, automatic tranny, no wind noise and my XM radio that I can actually hear while underway that my Chevy tow vehicle provides. Hopefully I’ll get to meet up with you one of these days. We’re a mere 5 hours apart. The Houston Air Coolers club has a car show and shine at the San Jacinto Battle park every year. I’ve been wanting to attend that one. Maybe we could get together then. If your car is VW powered you can actually enter the show under the Coach Built class. Hope to see you some time.

Guests
    Participant

@guests

Gunfighter, give me call when you get down here, will do a little crusin together on the coast. 228 396 9403 I’m writting this from a friends computer having trouble logging it at home.

Sarge

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Will do Sarge. Going over Friday. Should get to Gulfport around noon. Staying at the Best Western on Hwy 49 just off the interstate next to Hooters. My cell is 225-202-2612. I’ll give you a call when we get in. Be nice to cruise with another TD.

Tom

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Thanks for the tip, Tom. I’m aware of the Houston VW Club, but hadn’t heard about the Air Coolers. Will have to check that out. The San Jacinto Battleground event sounds interesting. Shoot me a PM if and when you get ready to go there.

Enjoy your cruise — and don’t forget to take pictures.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Will do.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Went to Cruisin The Coast this past weekend and it was everything folks say it is. The weather was absolutely perfect. Winston was a big hit with both the young and old. Lots of thumbs up, smiles, waves, compliments and photo’s taken of him. Even had a couple folks from England stop and admire the car. Hooked up with Sarge in Ocean Springs and we took the following pics in front of the Biloxi Yacht Club. There were a few later model MG B’s cruisin but every time I saw them they were going the opposite direction. Saw two other TD’s, a white one and a black one, but they to were going opposite from me. With over 6,000 cars there about all you could do was wave at each other as you passed. LOL Anyway here’s a couple pics of Gil and I and our cars in front of the Yacht club. Gil has a Mustang II V6 powered TD with automatic tranny. Gotta tell ya, my clutch foot got a workout this weekend.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Beautiful!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

It was nice to hook up with a fellow forum member. We are so few and far apart down here unlike you guys up north.

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

very nice pic. thanks for sharring.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Very cool. I like the backdrop too.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Sure wish I could’ve joined you. Looks like you had a great time. 

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.