Cruisin’

Home Forums General Discussion Cruisin’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Went back to my local cruise for the first time in a while. Turnout was light–no British contingent at all! Just one ’78 Fiat and some tuner machines heading up the ferrin auto contingent.

I parked Bridget way on the far edge, near a crazy T-bucket, a hella ’71 Challenger, a nicely radicalized ’30s truck rod and a klatch of mostly ’60s Corvettes.

I think my closest companion was the foreboding Caddy herse.

Bridget got more than her share of attention though. I had to keep coming back to her to answer questions. Only one guy made her outright as a replica (said the heater controls gave me up–I hadn’t thought about those). Everyone else I had to tell ’em that’s what the “R” stands for on the license plate. People were still very complementary. One guy–recent chrome bumper MGB owner, he said–didn’t understand the engine was in the back until I opened up the front to show him it wasn’t there. This was long after I told him she was on a VW pan, and after we had discussed engine specs and details. He still thought the flat 4 was somehow up front.

Fascinating to me how, at these cruises, rareness and style count for so much more than power and polish. There had to be a dozen beautiful big-block Chevelles on hand, each one more pristinely detailed and badass than the last. Yet steps away this, this thing was sucking up all the admiration:

Push-button torqueflight, cross-ram intake on a 413 Wedge. I don’t even know what the heck it was…’62 Belvedere, maybe? But there was a crowd around it for most of the night.

Love Shack, Baby!

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, At our local cruise in last week, I was the lone foriegn representative,oops I forgot about the VW bug. But my car still  got  lots of attention  . A couple that appeared to be in their late 70’s and were owners of a TD back in the late 50’s really enjoyed looking my replica and were very accepting of the differences from the original..

Most cruise ins have something for anyone that is a car person.While I admire the expensive and almost perfect vehicles,I seem to be most interested in seeing what can be accomplished  with  patience and creativity and without spending a small fortune.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

As the local Mopar guy (I have a 65 Plymouth Satellite Convertible) I’m sorry to say, “close but no cigar”. That there is a a 1962 Dodge Polara. The 413 wedge with the cross ram is what makes it rare. That and being, shall we say, not the best design to come out of Ma Mopar in the 60’s! 😉

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo1200.html

Ed, I think you could have parked in the back of that companion hearse and saved gas money on the ride home!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Polara! Yeah! Thanks, Paul. Such a cool shape, right on the borderland between ’50s fins and ’60s angularity. Dog or no, those 2×4 cross rams looked tough. Chevy slapped a few on the early Z cars. Offy made a copy of it. I always wanted one for the Nova but didn’t have the $ and knew it would be trouble.

So there was one other rear-engined contender on the lot.

Recognize this one?

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I think it’s a Chevrolet Corvair with a turbo. I going to guess a 1965, kinda using the license tag as a guide.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Definitely a Corvair.

Nice eye Larry. I didn’t even look at the plate until read your note.

Hey Ed…we’re two for two in “name that car”. Whatcha’ got next?

I’d love to have a wedge in my Satellite. Or even one of the very few hemi convertibles that were built. But then, I likely would not have wanted to spend the money! And I wouldn’t be getting 20 mpg like I do with my 318 small block.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yes, Corvair, of course. There’s a guy ’round here somewhere with a Yenko model, too. Keep hoping to run into him. This one is just a turbo version, which I’d never seen one in person before I cruised the local Lowes. I didn’t notice the year on the plate either, and haven’t yet met the owner. I guessed ’66, so close. The car is a 4-speed too. Those seem to be seriously back in style with the cruisin’ set. I remember when I put the Muncie in the Nova (swapped out the original Powerglide for a 3-speed, then the 4-speed), people were like, “what you doing all that work for when a TH 400 and a loose converter would be so much faster?” One guy had a car just like my old one, but with a 5 speed in it. Didn’t meet him yet either, and I want that story.

So, want a challenge? Here’s one:

edsnova40376.7552777778

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed ,  Not sure about the one in front but the car in the background is a 56 Chevrolet Bel Aire two door hardtop. Becky and I dated  in a solid black one in the summer of 62.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

’73 Chevy Vega. Ha!

A late model Chevy. But beyond that I haven’t a clue.

Paul Mossberg

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

2004.5.6.7 sumthin Chevy SSR.GM’s answer to a modern day old school hot rod.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Larry, I think you’re right about the Bel-Air. I always loved those cars (who doesn’t?) but somehow never wanted one. There was a ’57 small block rod (bench seat, 4-speed) in the garage of one of the houses Karen and I looked at last summer. The dude said he’d include it with the house. I was tempted, but still said no.

Paul–not a Vega! I’m gonna wait and see if anyone else is reading and wants to guess. Old Buzz would probably know.

BTW your Plymouth would go good in this scene. There were quite a few Mopars scattered across the lot, both old and new.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

HA! Old Buzz was posting right about the time I was writing that he’d probably know. He knows. Chevy SSR. We have a winner!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Funny, I saw one this afternoon and realized immediately that it was the car you posted here. Too little, too late.

But for the record, the gang here at tdreplica.com is now 3 for 3!!!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.