Datona MiGi have some questions

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Datona MiGi have some questions

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

O I for got to add it does not run its locked up . But that does not present any problems I am fortunate to have a fairly well equipped shop    

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

SUBY!!:-)

I see, reading earlier posts, that you’ve eliminated that as an option. Fair enough. Your cheapest and most reasonable option is a rebuild of the existing engine to near-stock spec. You could probably get it done for $1,000, or even less, depending on your skill. Or maybe $1500.
    I’ll say this though, then stop: The Suby 2.2 can be had out of a junkyard for $400. Same for the KEP adaptor. Head gaskets, oil separator and the like are a few hundred. And you can avoid the electronics by cutting the carb flange from a VW progressive Weber manifold and welding that to the Suby manifold (David Stroud, another old airplane guy, did this to his Speedster a few years ago; I’ll introduce you). A Megajolt style crankfire ignition supplies the spark ($300 or so), a $60 aftermarket dual row Honda Civic radiator, some pipes, and you’re there. 
    So, for the same thousand or 1500 bucks, plus a little more time and effort, you could have a much better engine.

edsnova2016-03-26 08:02:04

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

If you knew me you would know i need the project like I need another orifice . I have a fair accumulation of VW parts . And Bug Eyed VW is only about 15 miles away so i have a close source for the parts i may need to put some of this junk i have been falling over to some good .
      My firs task is to pull the body and put pans in it and move the peddles as far forward as i can get them

This thought might warrant another  thread but on the subject of the hand brake . Mine is still in the stock location and i have the bench seat that i prefer .
    It seem like a simple solution would be rob a ebrake mechanism out of some thing  that has the tube with the t handle that you pull out to engage and turn a 1/4 turn to release could be mounted  under the center of the dash . Take the ratchet mec out of the VW handle and with a cable and a pulley you could go off the VW handle straight up over the pulley than to the back of the tube . I can not see where a T handle under the center of dash would look any worse than the ebrake lever does that you can not use .     

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

If you have all the necessary requirements; time, tools, room, ability, etc, I’d say you’ve got a great find. Even if you spend lots for the grill, engine and other bits, it would be less than most.
    My favorite show is ‘Wheeler Dealers’ on the Velocity channel. I love seeing them bring old beaters back to life. Edd China is a wizard!

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The easy e-brake fix is to V-cut the top just in front of the pivot, bend it vertical and weld it that way. Then it’s close enough to reach and you won’t be going nuts trying to fab something up. It will also look passably like a TC’s e-brake handle. 

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Ed, is there a pic of this mod. It sounds a lot easier than moving the ebrake handle having to cut and clamp the cables as others have done.

Sam

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Taildragger wrote: “Bug Eyed VW is only about 15 miles away”

Doug. Did you know they just moved to their new location just of I75 at the Warner Ronins exit? I frequent them quite a bit. I live and work here locally and want to spend my money locally. Also you may want to check day for a grill shell. They are on there now and again.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

time, tools, room, ability, etc,  Are not the problem what i lack mostly is ambition !

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I modified my emergency brake somewhat like Ed’s suggestion of cutting, bending and welding.  I went to the VW junkyard and bought a second emergency brake handle.  Then using a 4″ angle grinder, I cut the new arm such that it nestled nicely on top of the old handle and welded it there vertically.  This allowed the lock on (parking) function to be fully functional if desired.  I usually drive with a 1/2″ PVC
    cap over the old handle (this is a friction fit to depress the release button) so that the brake acts like an emergency (but not a parking) brake but does not lock (unless I take the cap off). 

I painted the PVC cap black to hide it and match the handle and lay relatively unnoticed atop the black interior carpet.  I have been to quite a few car shows with this rig and not one person has commented on it (the old handle is still installed and functional).

Works well for me.  Certainly an easy fix to give good placement of the new vertical emergency brake handle. 

One of the reasons that I did it this way was because I have a bench seat, moving the actuator aft like Ed and Happy Jack and others have done was not an option. 

If you have bucket seats, then Ed’s solution to making the handle more accessible is admittedly more elegant. 

Royal2016-03-26 17:37:47

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Anyone ever think of using a bus emergency brake setup? Just another thought.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Tom Bartlett
    Participant

@tom-bartlett

Taildragger,

About 20 years ago I rebuild a Daytona Migi that sounds similar to the one you found.  Mine had the rear fenders molded into the body tub and the fiberglass grill.  I changed to MGB seats, installed a wooden dash, and created a slight “crown” in the windshield glass just like the original.  I will try to attach pictures of my Migi.
    Still having fun in retirement,
    Tom Bartlett
    Tom Bartlett
    Participant

@tom-bartlett

O.K I may have this uploading process figured out.  Tom Bartlett
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

VERY NICE!Thumbs UpThumbs Up Thanks for the pics.

Amor Conquista Todo

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Yes that looks like mine . I like the idea of the slight crown in the windshield . It looks fine with a painted grill .

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.