Datona MiGi have some questions

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Datona MiGi have some questions

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Hello  I am a new owner of a project VW TD . In looking around on the forum I have not seen one like mine . The rear fenders are integral to the body so i do not know if means its a newer version or older ?  The other thing the radiator shell is all fiberglass .
     I was wander if any one here has had any experience with chrome vinyl wrap. 
       The one feature i wish it had is a fold down windshield   

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome…

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome aboard Taildrager. I’m just 15 minutes away in Warner Robins, GA. Building “Moneypenny” my red CMC/Fiberfab TDr. PM me and we can meet somewhere.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Early Daytona kits were offered with “optional” chromed radiator shell….implying that it was optional, though I’ve never seen one without.  I would bet that if the fenders are glassed in to the tub, it was the builder that opted to do it that way since I am quite sure it wasn’t that way from the factory.

On some Daytona’s you could quite simply modify the bracket to allow the windshield to fold flat. I did it in my garage in an afternoon, for no money.  Most Daytona’s had the windshield mounted such that this is an easy conversion.

Post some pictures, and we’ll be more able to help with the answers to your questions.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

My rear fenders are molded in as part of the body as well. I have never seen a fiberglass radiator shell. My shell with the molded radiator louvers is fiberglass but I have a chrome shell over top of it. I think mine is a 1978 version. I would have to check. A picture of yours would be good.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

I have not figured out how to post a pic. yet ?
     But I do believe that my rear fenders were from the factory this way because of the jell coat   

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

taildrager,
    Are you a pilot? Your screen name indicates you might be.

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Yes its been awhile .But I still have a 7ECA Citabra  . I started out with my first plane being a Tomahawk but i wanted to be a real pilot so i bought a 1955 170B and before i even had  my licenses I also owned a 1952 Cessna 195 with a 275 hp Jacobs then a Maule with a Franklin JUNK ! and now the 7ECA .
      I am not one that is crazy about avionics. One good radio and a hand held GPS , full fuel and if  can get it to crank I’m gone .  

taildrager2016-03-25 09:34:53

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

A pilots license has been a long time dream of mine. Im 47 do you guys think its too late for me to start?

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

secretagentcat wrote:
    A pilots license has been a long time dream of mine. Im 47 do you guys think its too late for me to start?

I think when I got mine in 1995 (I was 37) it took about 50 hrs of behind the stick to get ready enough for your test. And about the same classroom time. After 10- 12 hrs you should be ready to solo.
    The cost then was $6000 to cover the entire thing; in air, classroom, plane and instructor and books.
    If it’s on your bucket list, and you have the $$$…
    GO FOR IT!!!

but, remember once you get you ticket, you’ll need to stay current, or it will lapse and you’ll be out the money…

Amor Conquista Todo

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I was 46 when I got mine, 18 when I got my A&P ticket and 45 when I got my Bachelors in Aeronautical Science. Never to old to learn. Two biggest things with learning to fly is always stay ahead of the plane (be ready for you flaps etc.) and good hand/eye coordination. Now we take you back to our regular thread. 😉

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

I retired in 2008 as a crop duster. I flew 150hp Pawnee to 1200hp Thrush and most everything in between. About half my 21,000 hours in AgCat.

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

And all of this for 500.00 dollars it would have been a bargain at half that price .Like those guys on American pickers say its all roached out ! I think it look Gangster  The Edward G Robinson kind of Gangster .

taildrager2016-03-25 20:47:07

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Yeah that is the same body as mine with the integrated rear fenders. Your are missing the chrome grill shell. I believe MG Magic might have one. It will be a tough part to find.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks like a viable project to me. Bumpers, mirrors, door handles. Probably some gauges. 

Does she run? Cuz if she doesn’t run, I recommend Subaru power.
    Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Lets talk about Subaru power what is involved ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking over the photos, rear tire cover says Mi Gi But there is a bump on the running board That was used on Classic Roadsters LTB The ditches. By the way looks good for the price you paid.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Donny, unless you have a lot more room in your engine box than my Daytona has, you can’t fit a Subaru without a lot of fiberglass work.

I believe you will find a lot (including all Daytonas) with the bump on the running boards to accommodate the rear torsion bars.

Donny, what are your goals with regard to your car. If you intend to put a chrome grill on, it will likely cost more than you paid for the car.

Like Ed queried: Does it run?

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

I just went over to Samba no Subaru for me I want to drive it before i Die not to mention the cost . A fresh overhaul will make it go fast enough to scratch my itch . 

Donny Hughes
    Participant

@taildrager

Yes the grill is no thing of beauty  I am still hoping to learn some more about chrome vinyl wrap .This may be offensive to some but it a fiberglass replica so what the harm in adding a little vinyl

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.