Daytona MiGi – Recent Purchase

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Daytona MiGi – Recent Purchase

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Nice garage and GTO!!!…not to mention the nice green lawn!!!

Oh yeah…Very Nice TD replica too.

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Not mine, not mine, not mine, and thanks!

I need to do something with the grille though.  I believe it’s made of plastic.  I was thinking of cutting it out, what’s painted red now, and putting grille slats behind it then painting the grille shell red. 

Think it will work?

Pat

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

It should work.

Are you sacrificing a waterproof trunk?

I dont; recall what is behind the shell on a migi.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Paul,

No there is the nose of the bodywork there.  That grille shell is a separate piece. It wouldn’t affect the trunk at all.  I just don’t like the way it looks… too fake…I do have some grille slats from a real MG TD.  I would have to cut’em down a little.  I am just not sure how the shell  would look once I cut out the fake slats.  I am afraid the only way to know is to cut… fire up the chainsaw… 

Pat

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I think it’ll look OK after a careful trim job.

How much space between the grill cut out and the front of the body-work? And what does the front of the bodywork (I guess outside the front of the trunk) look like?

If it is not straight up and down (parallel to the grill shell) I suggest you create a false back for the cut out.

However you mount the slats, you’ll want some space between the slats and whatever is behind them (the false back or front of the car’s bodywork)

And you should paint the front of the body work (or the false back) matte black to give the appearance of a radiator behind the slats.

This will sound crazy…but I’ve found the best matte black paint for making a surface “disappear” is hi-temp, matte black bar-b-q grill paint.

Yes, you read that right.

I first used it on the recessed portions of all the emblems and letters on my 65 Plymouth Satellite. Came out perfect.

So I use it to paint all the lower bodywork on my Duchess TD (the bodywork under the front fenders, the fiberglass that is on top of the VW pan and the under-fender portions of the front sides). Makes the bodywork disappear.

You want matte, not flat. The flat is to fake looking.

PMOSSBERG39745.9022916667

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Paul,

I haven’t pulled the shell off yet.  It feels like maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch before it touches the bodywork.  The slats I have are kind of j shaped so there will be some dimension to them.  They would not lay flat.

I will use matte black bbq paint as you suggested.  Good idea.

I was supposed to cut firewood today but it’s raining and kind of
    nasty…  so maybe I can pull the shell today.  I’ll let you know.

I can’t believe they’re calling for snow this weekend.  It always seems to come way too fast.

Pat

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ah…house and yard work? Or work on the car?
    Sounds like a good excuse to spend time in the garage!

Paul Mossberg

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

I took the shell off and have started cutting it.  Committed now…  (to cutting it that is) I’ll post a picture when I finish modifying it.

Well we did get snow already…  Way too soon…

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good luck! We had a minor dusting today. Nothing, but still way too early. But north-western NJ and the Poconos in PA (about an hour from here) had a foot!
    PMOSSBERG39749.9258680556

Paul Mossberg

Guests
    Participant

@guests

a badge bar and some fog lights would snaz up the front end…also

Nice car!

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Here’s what I ended up doing. I still have to paint black behind the grille and repaint the shell itself.  I also have some trim to go on the cut.

So now I have a FF chrome grille shell, slats, and original light brackets and buckets for sale. Didn’t end up using them. I have them posted for sale.

Pat

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Looks great Fareoh…As you said, the black paint will make it look even better.

Pink MG39930.4390625

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Hi fareoh…here’s a pic of a similar solution to “my grill shell’s not chrome” problem…mine is a very early Daytona MIGI…couple other pics in forum photo gallery under mindseyeblind. We’ve been discussing history, etc of these cars in general discussion forum, Daytona MIGI, of course!  Feel free to give us some other owner input…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.