Daytona MIGI in Penn Valley, PA

Home Forums Classifieds Running MGTD Kits Cars for Sale Daytona MIGI in Penn Valley, PA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I don’t know if it’s running or what condition it’s in.  It looks rough.  I’m going to go take a look at it this afternoon and will post whatever I find out.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Here are some more shots from the website:

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Does not look that bad to me – sitting in a dry garage is a good thing.

Gel coat most likely and should come back/ Did not see a price – assume auction?
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

44 miles. Wow. Like it’s never had a chance yet.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I took a look at it this afternoon.  They want $3K.  It’s salvageable but there’s a lot of work to be done.  This was an estate sale, the guy was kind of a hoarder and kept all kinds of records.  Charlene and I looked for anything on the car (records, build manuals, ephemera) but could find anything.  I know that’s stuff is there, in the basement most likely, but the piles of molding paper were just too much for us.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Ya cant save them all.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

$3000 seems rich for that particular car, despite the low miles. $300 would be a good deal. $1,000 might even be justified if she’s a runner. But plan on spending thousands of dollars and as many hours to get her in shape.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Ed,

I’ve noticed that you seem to make very low ball efforts of value – no offense meant – but based on my shopping experience a couple years ago, $1000 is about what a VW-based TDr that’s been setting outside until the pan rotted away. This one, in dry storage,seems to be a barn find and likely would bring $1500 to $2000 on eBay.

But, $300 might get you a good grill shell these days…

My concern is that it is apparently a 65 pan, which would be a 6v, swing axle/linkpin suspension, with a 40hp motor — unless something has been upgraded. I just sold my 1500cc single port engine for $300 – and I think the guy got a quite fair deal…

Just an observation… I wish I could’ve found prices like you mention. Again, no offense meant.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I agree our friend Ed has a critical eye. But I usually agree with him.
    You have to figure a nice, running, clean, presentable, even showable VW based TDr is going to be worth in the $4 to $5k range. If a car will take $3 to $4k to bring it back to life, than an offer in the $300 to $500 range is most reasonable. 
    That said, the true value is whatever a buyer is willing to pay, and a seller is willing to accept. 

Everything else is just speculation … and fodder for lively forum debate. 😉

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I agree Paul, that it is all in what someone is willing to pay, or accept…

Again, based on my experience a couple years ago, eBay sales (not listings) are the best indicator of current market value. Then, if a weekend’s work would get it on the road, it was valued at about $3k. If you could immediately start driving and enjoying it, without concern, then a ballpark of $4k or so (+/- $500). Above that, it was all based on specific details of the example. $5k would get you something you could clean and wax and take to the local cruise or coffee “show-off”.

Where it gets really squirrel is below the $2k price. Everything there is going to require significant work to get it on the road. Is it work you can do, or must you pay a pro to do some or most of the work? IMO, as soon as you have to start paying someone else, you’re immediately “upside down.” IMO, no TDr is worth what it would take to have a pro complete all the needed work — they have always been, and continue to be a DIY proposition, regardless of whether you’re starting with an unassembled kit, or one that needs some work…

Again, my experience, anything in sub $1000 range is essentially a parts car. The $1k to 2k range is “pick your poison”. A solid VW running gear alone, with title, is worth $800 – $1000 if it’s a 1500c or later IRS example. (This one isn’t apparently). The Bug guys will pay that…

Again, my experience from the last couple years. Some shoppers will find bargains – but it’s the fact that they got it below market value that makes it a bargain. That doesn’t mean that their experience is actually market value…

None should be considered an investment – your fun is the ONLY way to get your $$ out of it…
    KentT2016-03-12 10:13:02

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

No offense taken and, of course, none meant. The market for these cars–as with many “classic and collectible” cars–is hard to know. Very few old cars can return a person any real cash on their investment, so the value is always about the fun you can have with it, and so it’s subjective.

Some guys count as “fun” the time they’re working on their cars. In my experience, those are the guys who get the most enjoyment from them–and not because they pay more (or less) to begin with than the other guys.
    From a pure financial standpoint, the moment anyone pays anything for one of these, he’s “upside-down” compared to the person who invested the same money in an index fund. But life, for most of us, is about a lot more than counting those beans.
    That said, any time I throw out a number like that above, based only on a couple of pictures in an ad, I could be–and I probably am–way off. If I saw it in person I might offer a lot more. Or less. 
    The certain thing though is this: having bought one of these cars, and having enjoyed the heck out of it, I’d still usually offer less money now for a given example than I would have in 2009, when I first looked at Bridget. Not that I regret buying–far from that! But I know now things I did not know then about what sorts of cash outlay and effort it takes to get them going strong.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.