Dim Headlights

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Dim Headlights

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

The headlights on my TDr are not very bright in the normal mode. They are Lucas headlights and are wired correctly with a good solid ground. Is this normal? or do I need to switch them out for brighter ones? I hesitate to drive at night with them not throwing a decent beam on the road.

Mike Neben

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Update to my previous post. They are not Lucas, they are Dietz headlights. But they’re still dim. 

Here’s a photo taken today
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Do they have a relay in the circuit?  If not, consider adding one for each circuit (dim and bright), with the positive side fed directly from the battery with a large enough gauge wire. Locate them closer to the headlights, so there’s as little current drop as possible.  

Then, the current circuit through the switches just controls the on/off and dim/bright switch functions, while the new heavier-gauge circuit provides the power for the lights themselves…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Also re-do your grounds. And if that doesn’t get it, get new bulbs.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And to think every car on the road used to have those same “dim” sealed beam headlamps.

And we thought they were bright.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Paul’s right. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And Mike, Im betting it is only the headlght buckets that are Dietz, right? You have plain old sealed beams inside.

Another option…replace the sealed beams with halogens:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.