Disc Brake Rotors

Home Forums General Discussion Disc Brake Rotors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Interesting info about turning brake rotors and the effect on braking performance.

http://www.oeqf.com/techinfo/index.htm

PMOSSBERG40055.568125

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Thanks, very interesting, very enlighting. Explains how my wife rear-ended a car after a new (bad) brake job, course spiral grooves. Both rotors were replaced by the body shop and the car stops fine now. Glad to know the story behind the rotors. I didn’t know. Thanks Paul,

James

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Paul, Thanks for some valuble information. I have been putting off doing a brake job on our van including dealing with a warped rotor. I think I will go with new ones after seeing this presentation.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I got the info from my Mopar e-list.

That’s interesting James. Your wife’s accident does sound like a real world event caused by the issue oeqf reported on.

My Volvo dealer has also recommended against turning brake rotors. I always figured they were just trying to sell more new rotors. Maybe they knew more than they were saying.

My worst “brake repair” was a Midas mechanic who left a clamp on the right front brake line. The car would stop OK, the pressure from the master cylinder was enough to move fluid past the clamp. But fluid would not easily return through the clamp (since it was not under much pressure). Drove me crazy…why would a brake job adversely effect acceleration?

I pulled the wheels because the new pads also seemed to be rattling and I wanted to see what was going on. It was then I saw the clamp on the brake line.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Gee , I have sanded my rotors all the time, working on my cars I just thought it was because I was always broke and needed to save money $$$ how did i know i was doing the wright thing!!  Dan

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I’m with Dan, from now on, I’ll save the bucks and get out the sander too. On my Olds station wagon new rotors are only $1 more each than having the old ones turned, heck, for 2 bucks more I always went for the new ones and how have several dandy old rotor weights laying around for odd jobs that need some weighs added . By the way…they don’t make for good centerpieces on the dining room table.

Anonymous
    Inactive

THIS IS interesting.Glad you have shared it…

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

That was really great Paul…now we’ll all need to purchase hand held orbital sanders or ask Santa to bring one!

Actually, if the rotors are not too thin or warped I never turn them…just install new pads. If they are warped or too thin, in most cases, it’s cheaper today to just buy new rotors anyway.

Now, to all with bad brakes…make sure your horn works!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.