Door check strap

Home Forums General Discussion Door check strap

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jim Dudley
    Participant

@jddwew

My car does not have door check straps.  Can anyone give me ideas on what they have used.  Do the leather straps for Model A work? Has anyone used a medal check strap like on current cars, which fit inside the door frame and attach to the door with a pin? This will go an a FiberFab Ford Kit.

Thanks, Jim

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I used portions of the seat belts from my donor VW.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul et al,

Did you use one strap per door and centered or two? My assembly manual doesn’t cover the door straps.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

One on each side, centered between the two hinges. Attached to the inner side panel and inner door panel fiberglass with a couple of finishing screws.

The instruction are not in the manual, but there is a good picture in the Classic Roadsters Assembly manual, Part 4 – Body and Interior , scroll down to page 75 of the manual.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

My originals were a webbing material covered with vinyl that matched my car seats. Just one strap in the middle on each door. The originals were all ripped and barely holding. I made new ones using an old 2″ wide leather belt. Found some vinyl material on the internet that matched the car seats and covered the leather then reattached them to the door and side panels. Used Pop Rivets to attached them. They look just like the originals.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

I used a white leather belt $2.50 at a flea market and put it at the bottom of the door to keep it out of the way and screwed to the seat box lots of options  Dan

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine might be just vinyl, folded over, two screws on each side.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Mine is made from seat belt materal mounted about 1 ” below the upper hindge.  1 screw each side. 

Jim Dudley
    Participant

@jddwew

Thanks everyone for your input.  Paul’s picture from the Classic Roadsters Manual was extremely helpful.  I was unsure how to install the strap.  Now that I have the knowledge it is just a matter of locating the material to use.

Thanks, Jim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.