Ed called me a traitor… :-)

Home Forums Picture Gallery Pictures of your other Ride Ed called me a traitor… :-)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Well, I went and did it. After searching for over a year and a half, yesterday I “adopted” an Intermeccanica Roadster. She is a 2005 factory build with only 2800 miles! Practically a new car! Two previous owners simply didn’t drive it.  1776 with a freeway flyer. Roadsters have the taller windshield and roll up windows! With the top up, there are actually a few extra inches of headroom.

The artificial light does not do the car justice. But you can see more here:

http://rufauto.ebizautos.com/detail-1959-porsche-356-convertible_d-used-11334210.html

And yes, I shared the news privately with Ed. and hi did indeed call me a traitor! 😉

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Congrats Paul!  

Ed knows his traitors!
    Somehow, I feel that we TD’ers lost out on this one.  
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Though I share Roy’s sentiments, I must say that that is a lovely car…

So, you now have the best brand of TD replica and the matching best brand of 356 replica.  Those are FAR more “civilized and practical” than the minimalist Speedsters…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Seat heaters. The IM has seat heaters! 😀

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Very nice Paul – finished and everything – wish my speedie was done. Oh well I will finish one of these days.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yeah…it will be done Schu!

I wasn’t prepared to build. Very happy to maintain it. But I really just wanted to put the key in and go.

Henry Reisner sounded like a proud father when I called him to share the news. With all of our TDs being orphans, it was a terrific feeling to have the owner of the company tell me, “You have my cell phone, call me whenever you need to!”

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Okay I’ll ask the question (being that I don’t know). Is the IM an original car (sheet metal etc.) or kit car?Embarrassed

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Factory-assembled fiberglass, similar to how the Pumas were done…

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Sheesh, the doors don’t even open from the right end. 😉

Congrats, that is a fine looking automobile.
    Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

love the pipes, well done

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

In my humble opinion, the Intermeccanica is the best Speedster replica out there. Here is their site:

http://www.intermeccanica.com

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Gorgeous car, Traitor.

So we’ll have one less TD at Carlisle then? Or you gonna tow it with the Porsche?
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

WOW!!!!

I din’t know they made a replica like that.  What a great looking car.  Can’t wait to see it at Carlisle.
    Hmm, if I save my pennies, sell my TDr’s, spend a year or two looking, and get lucky,  I may be, just may be able to find a car as nice as this one looks.
    Congrats Paul… “A very green with envy HappyJack”
    Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Love it!!!  I’m looking too, but the wife doesn’t agree.  Missed one on ebay couple years ago, sold waaay to low.  Would have been a money maker if I didn’t want to keep it. Can’t wait to see it if you bring to Carlisle.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very nice, Paul. Congratulations. Do you have enough room in your garage? I know it’s large, but is it large enough?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I agree Paul, they are the finest of the 356 replicas.   

For a while, back in the 70’s at least, you could buy the complete Intermeccanica bodies, completely assembled, wired, etc.  ready for installation on your running gear.   Modify the VW pan, bolt them on, and then install the seats and carpet, and you were done… 
    Even then, they weren’t marketed as a “kit” per se.  Not sure exactly when they changed their marketing strategy to “factory built”, but it seems that’s the strategy most if not all of the remaining replica companies operate…
    Perhaps because there were too many kits that were not getting completed, or being poorly built, that it was having a negative impact on the market in general…

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

That’s quite a smile you’re sporting, Paul…..

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I believe that’s called a “SEG”:-)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Agreed. It is a SEG! And well worth it I might add.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Lest anyone mis-interpret Kent’s post above, yes IM’s were originally on VW pans, back in the 80’s. They are now on custom built chassis. And can you say stiff? The jacking instructions note one lift point, under the rear door edge. Jacking there will lift both wheels off the ground.

Bill, the car will not fit. It’s three bay garage, with a cut out intended for a work area. The TD or the IM will slide into that spot on dollies. The daily driver’s gonna have to live outside unless I get a lift. Or store the MG elsewhere, or sell it.

Paul Mossberg

Dan Ogle
    Participant

@tex

That is just beautiful Paul,congrats.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

It’s beautiful, so get a lift.  Please don’t dump the MG after all you went through to get it back not too long ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.