Engine Compartment "Bubble"

Home Forums General Discussion Engine Compartment "Bubble"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

I am just curious. Does anyone know why the MG kits have a “bubble” on the drivers side engine compartment(body panel)? Was it for a part of the engine on the originals that didn’t fit within the compartment?

It’s just a detail I always wondered about. I figured this would be the place to get an answer. Thanks

Geoff

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Geoff,

It’s for the generator.  Normally, enough clearance but when the belt would stretch the generator would get too close for comfort.

Ringo

This is according to my co-worker friend who has a real TD and has been known to be full of it at times. But, it makes sense to me.

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks Ringo,

I always wondered about that. now I know!

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I wondered also.

I like it because it conveys a message that the big powerful engine needs more room for all those horses……I guess the small bump is more like a pony stall though

James

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

Ringo is right. Here’s a picture of an original TD that illustrates the point.

You can see the “bubble” on the hood and also how much the stock generator sticks out away from that giant hulk of a Power Plant

Oh, and for any of you diehard Original TD purists out there, this one is currently listed on EBay for $25000.

Rich

RichBelfay39919.5915972222

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks for the illustration Rich.I saw that MG. It’s really nice, I definitely prefer the MG kit wood steering wheel, and the wire baskets though. Did you notice that MG had 2 sets of windshields? Pretty cool-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.