Engine Cover Fitment Problem

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Engine Cover Fitment Problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I have an engine cover fitment problem. Engine cover opens from the bottom to top and opens no problem. However, when I close the engine cover it goes about 2/3rd of the way down and then hits the back of the cover. Any suggestions?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Allen
    Do you have any pics showing why the cover is hanging up. I have a FF with the same kind of cover design that you have described but have not encountered the problem you have described. Problem I have is that weight of tire on cover exceeds lifting capability of the gas struts I have installed. Have to do some fibreglass reinforcement when weather improves and change to ones with more lift capability

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I believe the top bolts that hold the spare tire support are hanging on the rear face of the fan shroud. I will take the spare tire support off tomorrow and see how that works. In the library tab, if you go to the VW/CMC manual, page 39 covers the spare tire mount installation. It calls for seven 5/16 x 1-1/4 inch bolts. I believe these 1-1/4 inch bolts are too long. I also think the heads should be on the inside because the bolt head is thinner than the nut by almost half. If my shoulder can handle it, I’ll try a few ideas and report back. Maybe even put the spare tire mount on the outside of the engine cover.

Allen Caron

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Okay. After pulling the spare tire mount and closing the engine cover, it still catches. Performed a good inspection with the engine cover still hung up and found the top right of the inside of the engine cover is catching on the top right of the rear face of the fan shroud. I will have to grind down a little on the engine cover. I’ll take some pics and post before and after IF I can get them to post. If not, I’ll post a link to my photo page. More to follow. You TDr folks with the engine cover that opens downward just don’t know what you’re missing!  😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by newkitman.

Allen Caron

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Did a little more work on car. When I purchased the kit the engine cover and body tub were predrilled by the original owner. Evidently he drilled the engine cover to fit WITHOUT the body on the chassis. The body is to far from the engine fan shroud and when I close the engine cover it scrapes the top. I need about 3/8 inch to get the clearance and give a little room for air to flow around the fan shroud. Trying to decide what to use to give me the clearance. But if I add the 3/8 inch on top won’t this also move the sides out that 3/8 inch? What a dilemma. Most of my work so far has been correcting the original owner fouls ups. And he never actually put the kit together; just cut and drilled various pieces. Any thoughts on what to do or use? Add the 3/8 inch to which part…engine cover or body tub? I’m thinking easier to add it to the engine cover.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Speaking personally I’d move the engine forward.  😆

Seriously though: pushing the engine cover back 3/8 of an inch should not be a horrific thing. Why not shim the hinges for a test fit and see how it looks before deciding how to fill the gap? Remember, the engine cover is taking the place of a fuel tank, which on a TD is strapped to the back of the tub. It was never a perfect “flush fit” on the original item.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks Ed. The’s a good idea. Another thing occurred to me last night just as I went to bed. The engine cover is hitting ONLY on the right side. If the entire cover was the problem wouldn’t it rub all the way across the top of the fan shroud? I’ll measure from the top of the tub to the top of the hinge on the left side and compare it to the right side measurements. It might be the hinge was drilled lower on the right side. Anyway, that’ll be Tuesday. I don’t work on Sundays. And my shoulder has been sore because, like a dummy, I overworked it. Tomorrow will be rainy so it’ll be Tuesday before I get back to it. But keep those suggestions coming. Your ideas and thoughts are always helpful.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You might even have a bit of extra material on the cover that you could grind off. Sometimes they’re not of consistent thickness. A quarter inch is plenty strong, and some parts of some kits are nearly an inch thick.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

With the help of my fellow geezer here in town (Gregg), we got the engine cover on and closed properly. It turned out to be quite a combination of problems. 1st the hinge was correctly installed on the cover but the hinge was installed to low on the body tub. So we fixed that. 2nd was the spare tire cover rubbing on the mini air cleaner. Sanded down the inside of the spare tire mount and got rid of the rub. I’m still contemplating using the snorkel from a Karmann Ghia with a 90 degree bend on the outer edge. 3rd was really unexpected. The forward, bottom sides of the engine cover was hitting the forward end of the splash pan. Both sides. So…a sanding we did go and took off about 1/8th inch about 1/4 of the length from the body tub to the back. No rubbing anywhere now.  Whew! Sometimes not being in the TDr mainstream area you get to feel like you’re out on an island. Thank you all for your ideas and support. It really helps.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sounds like you did it right. A lot of kits require trimming of various parts t6o get the body together.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.