Engine overheating

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Engine overheating

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

I am new to this forum. I don’t have an MG kit car yet, but I am considering the purchase of a London Roadster that looks real good. My question is regarding the rear engine compartment. It doesn’t appear that there is very much ventilation/air intake area on these type kit cars. Has anyone experienced any problems with the VW engine overheating or vapor locking? I have always admired the MG’s of this vintage and I’m getting close to selling my Cushman Eagle and getting this car. Thanks for your input.

Mike

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

HI Mike and welcome to the forum. I have owned a London Roadster  VW based TD replica since 1994 and have never had any problems with overheating. My car has a chrome fan cover and the thermostat controlled fan intake is not used. To my knowledge all London Roadsters were factory built and most have the same engine set up.Check my photo gallery to see my cars . I no longer have the white one but I sold it after I got the red BCW .These little cars are a lot of fun to drive and maintain.

Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

Larry, thanks for the info. I didn’t know the London Roadsters were factory assembled. I am thinking that this is a good thing as I have seen some MG’s that have been put together pretty poor, to say the least. I had been told that the London Roadster is a good quality car and, judging from your photos, I believe that’s true. Your cars are real beautys. The one I’m thinking about buying is a twin to the cream colored car in you pictures. The owner is asking $6000. Is this about right at todays going rate? Thanks,

Mike

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Mike,  Thanks for the compliments. My understanding is that London Roadster bought Daytona MIGI kits and then assembled them on VW pans and titled them as London Roadsters.The vin # begin with the letters LCWL with the first two numbers indicating the year of the assembly.A few of these cars were built on a factory produced pan still using the VW engine and transaxle but with the  suspension being custom made and not using the VW torsion bar set up.These are rare and I think they might sell for more than one using all the VW parts. The LR cars use a shorter grille than most other replicas which is a giveaway that the car is not an original MG but seem to be generally well built. Most have quality interiors using more vinyl instead of carpet on the interior panels.$6,000 seems a little high but if the car is really good it may not be a bad deal.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Mike,

I’ve been running a VW powered TD replica for 27 years with no overheating problems. I’ve never raced it, but it’s done 14 hour long highway trips at 65 to 70 and Lord knows how many back road drives at 35. Never a problem.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.