Fiberfab MIGI vs: MIGI-II

Home Forums General Discussion Fiberfab MIGI vs: MIGI-II

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I was talking the other day with some friends about my FF MIGI-II and the question came up about the differences between the MIGI and MIGI-II.  I emailed MG MAGIC and posed that question.  Here’s the response from Brad Anderson:

The differences:
    The earlier cars had a fiberglass grill shell that was a one piece affair that incorporated the front splash panel as part of the piece. The metal grill was optional and could be fit over the fiberglass.

Cars that had this grill had two major differences:
    1) The steering column exited the left side panel and was clearly visible then tucked under the left side of the splash panel.
    2) The front left fender was different and you have molds  for all of the different parts. The later cars had a separate front splash panel and the front fender was elevated so the steering extension was not visible as it came through the side panel. The grill was a much simpler affair and the metal grill was standard. Thanks, BA

This may not be the definitive answer but it is more that I had before I asked the question.

Thanks,  Jack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Yep – I think I own a Migi. It has all those “distinguishing features.” 

I’m not sure, but I also think the engine lid is slightly different.  I know that I cannot get my engine lid to fit flush to both the body tub and the rear splash pan at the same time.  It looks more like an original TD’s gas tank, which did not fit flush to the splash pan either.  I think the shape of the engine lid on the Migi II may have been changed to close the gap between the rear of the engine lid and the splash pan.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Barry Stasiewicz
    Participant

@fiberfab-canada

Just as an FYI…

The main difference between the MiGi and MiGi-II, physically, was that the MiGi had a bump between the forward portion of the rear fender where it meets the running board. This was to accomodate the clearance for the VW torsion bar suspension. In the MiGi-II’s, we more accurately remodeled the kit and did away with that protrusion.

The real reason for the MiGi-II upgrade was because the employees that were building the MiGi’s decided to hold Fiberfab, Inc. hostage for patents in the production of the kits. Instead, Fiberfab decided it would be cheaper to start over with new production empoyees and a better version of the Migi… hence MiGi-II.

The disgruntled employees took off for Florida and started up Daytona MiGi using the old, original body design.

In the early 1980’s, under the revamped (unfortunately) Fiberfab International, a front-engined MiGi was offered. In Canada, at the same time, we just continued building the MiGi-II’s at the rate of 3.5 cars off the line every week since we were not affected directly by the reorganization of Fiberfab, Inc. in 1979.

Hope that throws a bit more clarity on your query. 🙂
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dude  . .  .!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Our first corporate member!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hope the person from “Fiberfab Canada” comes back and identifies him/herself.

I looked around. FIberfab Canada Limited has have a Facebook page. And a new Twitter account.

They also have an ebay userid and member page. But all of their recent sales on ebay have been for advertising.

Hard to tell if they are producing kits.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.