fiberglass restoration

Home Forums General Discussion fiberglass restoration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

I am wondering if anyone here has tried either the Poliglas or Vertglass systems for restoring oxidized gel coat on their MG ?

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

I never tryed it to do fiberglass but I remember in 1985 a new car dealer i was working for had a company come in and do a black Grand Prix it was a new car but had bad water etched paint at the time the guy who did the work told me that it was sodium silicate,” liquid glass” it may be the same if it is,, it works good to level out paint,,, but a lot of buffing outat the same time.. I was told at that time to mix it like you were going to do a floor but i never tried it my self . other than a “head gasket FIX ”     Good Luck…… Dan R

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Never tried poliglas or vertglass.

But I and others have had great success with Meguiar’s line of boat polishes and waxes.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Thanks, these products are marketed for restoring fiberglass on boats. The claim is that they may last for up to a year without return of the white oxidation spots. I have used the Mcguiars products but it seems that white spots show up in a matter of weeks.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Tomscs,Check out the posts under the topic ”refreshing or painting the gelcoat”  for more info. If you choose to go the sanding route, I would recommend using a finer grit paper, 1000 or 2000 so you don’t cut too much too fast. Be sure to use plenty of water ,it makes the job easier.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Tom,

I agree with Larry.

If the oxidation is coming back that fast, it would seem that polishing is not really getting rid of it in the first place. It sounds like a very fine wet sanding is needed on your car. Then the polish and wax.

PMOSSBERG40331.598900463

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Thanks guys, I will wet sand with 2500 grit paper and see how it goes. Always looking for a faster method, but know that nothing replaces good old elbow grease

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.