First ride

Home Forums General Discussion First ride

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

50 degrees in Baltimore today. Took Bridget for a spin, with Karen in the passenger seat too. Then she snapped a couple shots of me coming up the driveway, to commemorate.

So she started right up, didn’t even need the battery charger. Everything works EXCEPT the brake lights. No brake lights at all. I looked at the fuses; they all “look good.” Of course there is no indication of which fuse goes with what. But all-in-all, a very nice shakedown run ’round the block. I put the new mirrors on the fenders, disconnected the battery & covered her back up. I’ll get to the brake lights (and add a big center one too) later. Today I’m looking to finish Karen’s potter’s wheel–in rough form at least.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s a pretty little car Ed.

The British Coach Works is such a nice replica. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, The more I see of your car ,the better it looks.Glad you had a nice day to take it out for a spin. Having Karen along to enjoy it with you and make the pictures was extra special I’m sure.It won’t be too much longer till we have more nice days.

Regarding the brake lights,sometimes the brakelight switch will get ”gummed up” from old age or lack of use. You could connect the terminals on the switch and if that makes the lights work you will have found the problem.

Keep the pictures coming.

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Ed:

Nice looking car, kind of makes me miss Mrs. Peel who is on vacation in Florida.

Mel

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Nice car!  It was 62 degrees here yesterday,  couldn’t resist going out.  Still can’t get the grin off my face. 

I’ll put in my 2cents on the brake switch.  Probably gummed like Larry says, but if the switch checks out, check the grounds.

Ringo

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Ed,

Awesome. The car fits you perfectly. Lookin’ good

Ringo did a really neat thing with his third brake light. You might want to cruise his pics.

James

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks for the kind words, y’all. I will def. check the brake switch first. Hadn’t thought of it; was thinking fuse, bulb or connection. Now, to find that switch! Me manual has a schematic, but I knew that info. already. Me olde Nova had it up under the dash, in a bracket above the pedal, so the pedal arm could “unpress” the button.

Where is it on our cars? 

Thanks again for the help. I’ll check Ringo’s brake light too. After seeing his dashboard job, I expect it’s a quality hack.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, to be honest I have never actually seen a BCW VW based car but on my London Roadster VW if you jack up the front end ,turn the wheels to the right and look behind the left front wheel you can see the master cylinder with the brake light switch attached to it.These work off pressure from the brake fluid in the system instead of being ”unpressed ” by the pedal .Some VWs have two brakelight switches side by side on the cylinder.I’ll let someone else explain why,since I don’t know.

Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

Ed,
     Lookin’ good nice to sneak it out for a spin when ever possible. Larry and Ringo are right. Check your grounds and if they are good then the master cylinder is accessible behind the driver side front wheel built on to the master cylinder. My Migi is a 69 VW and has a dual master cylinder with two brake light switches. Mine is also accessable from the inside of the front compartment as it is bolted to the front cross member.

Will 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s hugely helpful. Thanks to you both.

Rob Haettich
    Participant

@mrhydrant

Ed,
       I the car.  Just how does your hood open?  I have been looking for a way to get my hood to open like the originals without to much fuss.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mrhydrant, the hood opens from the passenger side, like most of the replicars. It pops open using the original VW remote hood latch. The lower parts of the hood have original MG latches, but they’re for show only.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Actually, using the VW hood latch is unlike “most” TD replicas and for some reason, many of the instruction manuals told the builder to hinge the hood on the passenger side, opening it from the driver side.

As far as VW based TD replicas go, the British Coach works is the only one I’m aware of that uses the VW hood latch. Most use two simple boat hatch hinges on side, with two latches on the other side, all exposed to the outside of the car.

Ed, how is the hood hinged?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yes, the BCW manual brags about using the VW hood latch & denigrates other replicas based on this “superior” feature. They were quite catty about it, actually. I was under the impression, wrong I guess, that most of the replica mfgs hinged the hood on the driver’s side.

At any rate, the hinge itself on the BCW is just an internal hinge, running almost the length of the hood. It’s glassed-in (maybe riveted too); it came in the kit already attached to the hood side panel (the lower piece with the louvers). The builder riveted the other side of the hinge to the hood. Eight rivets pop through a lip molded in under the hood itself. I have the assembly manual, which I’d be pleased to share with anyone who wants it.

Here’s a blurry shot of it that shows nothing useful (that shiny bit is the antenna):

I don’t think the system easily lends itself to a repro of the original TD accordian hinge system though.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed,  Is your hood molded in one piece or in two pieces which are joined together under the chrome strip? The Chevette based BCW uses a two piece hood that is hinged in the center, however the side panels are attached with bolts to the cowel, grille shell and fenders. Thanks for the info and pictures,I did not know that BCW used the VW hood latch . My BCW has a hidden ”Jeep style” latch on the left side and external latches on the passenger side. It’s the only one I have seen with this set up. I may look in to changing to the VW latch as the mounts for them are already in place.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ah those superior British! Such an attitude 🙂

But this time they are right. It is a very elegant solution to hinging/latching the hood. Or should I say bonnet?

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

British hell, Paul! They’re Pennsylvanians! It does look pretty clean though. I’m just glad I didn’t have to put it together, as it looks like it would have been hard to get the alignment right with the rivets.

Larry: Bridget’s hood (Bonnet?) is one piece. The central chrome strip is attached with pins or some sort, like a lot of automotive chrome parts. The hood can’t “fold” like an original ’52 MG (or like your BCW?). The side panels are about like yours I guess.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yeah I knew that. Thought it was funny anyway.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.