Front Suspension

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Front Suspension

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I am looking for help in a front suspension issue.

I removed 4 upper and 4 lower small torsion bars per the instructions on this site by removing one spindle on one side and loosing all the grub screws on both side and then replacing same. I was able to leave one side on and use a lock wrench to pull out the torsion bars. All went ok- had a little problem getting the one side back on, but all seemed ok. Problem is that the side I removed is now sagging down aprox 1 1/2″ lower than the other and does not seem to be as tight ( less suspension ) as the other. I did retighten the grub screws, but could I have missed the sweet spot ( dented area in the torsion bars ) and am now in a screwed down in a different location on the bars?

Any help would be great as I am now almost finished w/ the rebuild and want it to be ready for Carlise PA. Anyone else coming?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Schu,

Sounds like it all worked as it should. Removing leaves softens the suspension, so it will sit lower when you drop the car back to the ground.

Maybe you just typed wrong, but I believe there are four main bars (the wide ones in the middle), with three narrow bars on top and three on bottom. You can remove the narrow bars. You should leave the four wide bars.

If you go back to Pink MG’s post ( https://tdreplica.com/forum2/forum_posts.asp?TID=15&PN=1), you will also see he recommended an adjustable beam. This enables you to reset the ride height, if necessary, to compensate for the lowering effect of the softer suspension.

Yes, you will find list members at Carlisle. One place to look for us is at the New Jersey Replicar Club tent on the show field. Bill Collins, Pink MG and I will be there (or you can ask anyone in the tent where we are). I’m hopeful there will be others.

PMOSSBERG2013-12-02 22:18:26

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

PS: I bet most of the NJRC members will know who Pink MG is…but you can also ask for Mark.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Paul,

Thanks for the reply- your right- I removed just the small bars and left the large bars. The problem is that the side I removed the bars from is sitting much lower than the side that I just loosened the grub screws , but left intact. I am thinking of loosining the grub screws on the side I removed the bars from and rotating the spindle assembly and trying to level that side w/ the other. I think I my not have leveled it correctly when I put it back together and the grub screw point missed the indented area on the remaining bars and is riding in a lower area causing the to sides to be unlevel. Does this make sense?

THanks for any help

I hope to be there and meet you guys if I can complete my ride. Any group rides planned or anything?

Thanks, Dale

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hi Schu…I think I understand your description. I have a couple of questions..

1) Was your front beam cut and turned before you did the torsion leaf removal? If it was, you’ll need to get another uncut one, preferably an adjustable unit.

2) Are you sure you got the center grubs back in the correct “sweet” spot? This is the grub that locks the leaves so that they will twist.

3) Did you leave everything on the side that you did not take apart when you did the job?

4) Measure the chassis to the ground to see if the car is sitting level. When I did mine, I found it was the fenders were not hung evenly, even though they looked like they were. Because one tire was higher in the fenderewell, it looked like the car was sitting lower on that side…It wasn’t. This is probably your problem. The bodies on these cars are not exactly straight.

The best ride is acheived by leaving just the 4 main leaves and adjusting the ride height (chassis pan to ground). You can fix a magnetic level to the bottom of the floor pan. I had mine set 3 degrees from level (lower in front). The torsion leaves will settle with use and probably require future ride height checks until they stop settling.

Modifying the front suspension correctly in this manner will afford much safer handling and ride characteristics. Cutting and turning the tube is a no-no. It was a quick fix used to sell the kits. 

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Pink,

I have a new- non-cut front end.

I will check side to side ride hight again and make sure I was correct in my measurements.

I will then check my grub screws and make sure they are in the ” sweet spot ” ( my gut feeling is the side I did all the work from the screws are missing the sweet spot and has rotated ).

Thanks for the help- I will let you know.  Dale

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Front Suspension’ is closed to new replies.