fuel problem

Home Forums General Discussion fuel problem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I’m still having fuel proplems.On my way home after out to lunch with wife.Car stops running 2nd time this week.Verry little gas in fuel filter. Disconnected lines ins and outs of carb and pump,and replaced gas filter.I did the same earily this week.Car starts up, filter is now 3/4 full drive it home.Get the car home blow out lines car is fine ,runs great.It has been suggested that because of the heat 90 degrees today and 90 degrees the other day that maybe the coil is to hot.I have done every thing suggested here                                

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Greg, did you in fact empty out and clean out the fuel tank?  The next time that it stops, see if you still have spark to rule out the coil.  If you do, it’s not the coil.  

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Are you getting air into your fuel system some way? Just wondering because you say that your fuel filter gets only half full. While you’re at the pump, check the pressure…it should be 3 psi max. If lower than two remove one paper gasket and see if that helps up the pressure. If pressure is okay then it sounds as if you’re getting close to a vapor lock.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen/Greg, it could be vapor lock but I can’t think of where the fuel line runs so close to the head or the exhaust that the line would get that hot.  

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Yes fuel tank has been emptied and  cleaned .The fuel filter is now completly full. When i turned it off and checked 3/4 full. Went out and cheeked 1/2 hour later compleatly full. I will drive tomorrow.Allen you have lost me.Are you saying to remove part of the paper inside filter. If you are i don’t know how to do that.The filter is clear plastic about 2and1/2 inches high and i don’t think it comes a part. I will check. I have also tightened all clamps on lines and tomorrow i will blow out line from tank to pump.One other thing i noticed when car is turned off tiny tiny bubbles are seen in the plastic of filter  going up.I think this is the filter filling its self. By the way all of you guys are wonderful.When i have a problem.I put it on here,get your opion and imput,print it out and take it to my local garage. If i don’t do this my mechanic will ask where the instructions are.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg,

Allen was referring to the gaskets between the fuel pump and the insulator/push-rod guide and between the insulator/push-rod guide and the block.

If you have more than one gasket on each side, removing one should increase fuel pressure because you are allowing the push-rod to move slightly higher with respect to the pump.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

By the way paul did you get your problem fixed. Wasn’t it also fuel?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Greg,

The fuel line enters the engine compartment along the left side of the engine forward breast plate and then runs along side the left cylinder tin on the way to the fuel pump. When I build my engines I always use the metal tube with a short braided hose on each end. To be certain the fuel tube doesn’t get too hot and cause a vapor lock, on the two screws that secure the cylinder tin to the cylinder head, I add a small clamp on each screw. After tightening the screw I bend the clamp up, away from the cylinder head. Nothing says to do that; I’ve just always done that. My buddy does the same thing and he also wraps the fuel tube with thermal tape. A bit of overkill to me but to each their own.

Allen Caron

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Greg

I know you replaced the old gas cap, isthe new one vented or not, also could the new cap be plugged?

Or bad . I would check to see if it will start after taking the gas cap off. But you Probable tried this ? 

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg, yes, it still seems to be a fuel delivery issue…but no, I don’t have it figured out yet.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

should the gas in the filter remain at the same level. When i start it its full drive down the road five miles its half full come home park it it fills up    

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’ve installed filters but I don’t put them in the line from the pump to the carb. I put them up front just above where the fuel tube enters the tunnel and I usually use a lawn mower filter. I change them once a year. Might use the colored metal filters I’ve seen in Mid America’s parts catalogue.

Allen Caron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.