gas tank fill

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas gas tank fill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I’m having some problems filling the fuel tank (ford based kit).  The pump doesn’t shutoff and over flows unless I go very slow, any solution?

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Rob,

I have almost the same problem. If I put the nozzle all the way in, it clicks off and won’t pump. If I pull the nozzle about half way out and try to pump full force, it again clicks off. The only way it works well is held about halfway out of the filler opening and about half squuezed on the pump handle. Then I just finesse it up until I see it coming up the fill pipe. Works OK for me. Fortunately the mileage is pretty good so I don’t have to fill it too often. Must be something about how the fill tube is designed?

Rich

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Gang

Most modern pumps have much more sensitive nozzles than even a few years ago.  Seems too many people causing too many spills.  Since the pump cut off relies on back pressure the only solution is to not put the nozzle in as far when fueling and to slow down a little.  A little extra time sure beats a spill on your paint.

Ringo

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ringo hit the bulls-eye.

I have the same issue with my MG and when I’m filling my 1965 Plymouth.

The vapor recovery systems on today’s pump nozzles cause the pump to be over-sensitive to back-pressure. The straight run into my Plymouth and MG gas tanks allows the air/vapors to “rush” back to the nozzle to quickly; confusing the pump into thinking the tank is full.

I often have to use one hand to keep the vapor recovery tube from sealing to the filler pipe.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Rob , I removd the plate that is in the neck below the cap no more fill trouble. 

I may go slow,  now where to go , I am where I want to be

Dan R40036.9334953704

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dan must have some fancy modern filler neck. Smile

My Duchess is just an open pipe, with one 90 degree bend to the tank. And of course the ’65 Plymouth is just a straight pipe into the tank too; the old “behind the license plate” pipe
    PMOSSBERG40036.9114583333

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Paul ; filler is out of 85 ??chev p/up junk yard find

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.