gelcoat

Home Forums General Discussion gelcoat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Has anyone ever tried the rubbing compound for gelcoats.3M says it is great stuff ant it will return your car or boat to a luster finish. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg,

I’ve never used 3M’s products.

But I love Meguiar’s boat products. All designed for gel coat. Blue bottles.

You can buy them direct at Meguiars.com

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname= Boat/RV%20Care%3EFlagship%20Products&sectionID=51101

PMOSSBERG2012-06-01 09:33:17

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

There many great products out there in a can but i still had my best result by wet sanding first by hand using 2000 grit to start than a buffing wheel. Cool Dan

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Stay on top of it or it will end up looking like mine !!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Patina!

Bill’s car is full of patina!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

My wife washed my migi with a very harsh spray, and absolutely removed all shine, which was already minimal.  I’ve tried wax, polishing compound and several other things.  In desperation, I tried Meguires Plastix, a product used for convertable top windows.  Mellow Yellow now has the best looking finish that it has had since I bought it!  Don’t know how it will hold up, but I’m a happy camper now.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I tried that Nexus polish promoted by others on here and wasn’t too impressed with the “shine” I got. My faded patina though adds some authenticity to my car. No matter what I wax it or polish it with, it doesn’t change much. Either I have to accept how it looks, which is not bad, or go to something more aggressive.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I was just on my computer an did a search on jellcoat restorer and came up with a product called vertglas a easy to use jellcoat restorer that is garenteed to work.Has any one ever heard of it?

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

After prepping the surface – It’s a coating that supposedly will fill in open pores in the gelcoat. May improve appearance, has to be periodically reapplied. Moderately expensive. Promoted on marine sites for boats.
    mrlmd2012-06-02 13:01:46

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

also with vertglas I  may  be mistaken ..but it  might have to be removed before a new coat is applied

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My buddy has a Maxi Taxi and he uses Meguiar’s Paste wax. Man does that thing look great! He started with Meguiar’s Scratch X kit for clear plastic headlights and then followed it with the paste wax. Excellent shine. Looks new.

newkitman2012-06-03 11:31:33

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

“Herbie” spent some time outside during a long time ago divorce, and his British Racing Green color became quite faded. I tried several products of rubbing compounds and waxes, to no avail. I used 1000 grit wet sanding, and then a Boat Marine product called “Penatol”. It is a liquid fiberglass restorer, that you wipe on with a lint free towel. It fills in the microscopic pores of the fiberglass, and becomes like a mirror finish that you can see yourself in. You buy Penatol, at a Marine store. The only down side is that you need to redo it yearly, or less, if the car is kept under cover.

Dave

1985 Classic Roadsters on a 1972 VW Chassis

Lakeland, Florida

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

I use 3M Fiberglas Cleaner and Polish from West Marine. But it takes a lot of elbow grease on the hard spots.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.