Help IDing my TDr Manufacturer

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Help IDing my TDr Manufacturer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Allen:
    Could you solve the mystery of my kit for me.
    It seems to fit the Fiberfab (VW) description. I have no manufacturers marks on it. Two things that are slightly different are the badge on the radiator shell, as well as the one on the steering wheel say “TD”. Another difference is that I have a 5 gall fuel tank.
    Any ideas of manufacturer?
    Thx
    dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dan,

You posted this in the Manufacturer Comparison thread.

It really belonged in its own thread. And would probably get lost otherwise.

It would help to see some pics of your car, including the grill badge. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Paul:
    Thx, I’ll get on it and Take some photos.
    Regs
    Dan

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Paul:
    Here are some pics that might help identify my TD manf
    So far I’m told that the seat config points to Fiberfab but I have no Manf mark.
    Things that could help
    1) The grill shell and steering wheel have “TD” on them
    2) Dashboard is very simple not like original config.
    3) I have a 5 gallon gas tank which is under a fitted compartment in front.

PS: the hood ornament and horns have been added by me. AS is the MG sticker on the spare.

Thx
    Dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My initial reaction is FiberFab.

But I’ve never seen a trunk like that. The form fit fiberglass shell is a really nice way to handle the trunk.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

No help here.  My first impression, like Paul’s, was FiberFab, but looking closer, I don’t think so.

1.  Hood opens on the wrong side
    2.  No visible split in the front splashpan (later FF), yet the drivers side front fender/splashpan conncection is too tall (early FF).  Does it have the exposed steering shaft on the left front fender that would identify it as early FF?
    3.  Gas tank location is totally custom, as is the whole trunk area.   I like all that trunk space! 

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Guys:
    Thx for the input so far. Here are a few more pics of under the compartment etc, in case it gives up any more clues.
    Dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

At the risk of ruining my reputation here…I’m stumped!

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Not any fiberfab that I’ve ever seen. From the gas tank portion it looks like a Duchess but then the other stuff isn’t. Could it be Classic Carriage?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

I heard a rumor that there was a small manf working out of SW Penna in the 70’s & 80’s. I think someone told me McKees Rocks, which is part of Pittsburgh. I’m wonder if it could be one of these? I thought that the “TD” badge on both the grill and the steering wheel might give it away.

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

No the steering shaft is enclosed in the body and not visible via left fender (more pics posted)

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I’ve heard of a couple of small manufactures/builders one in southern Indiana and a family operation here in Dayton Oh. The one here in Dayton was only around about a year, build maybe 5-10 cars. From what I heard they had Speedsters, TD’s and Gazelles. Maybe it’s one of those small builders. I’ve tried to find out more on this one in Dayton but rumors, facts, are really sketchy. Talked to several businesses close to where they were located and everyone remembers them but all the stories are different.   

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Definitely not a Duchess Allen

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

After seening all the photos, my best guess is an early Fiberfab with a modified trunk area. My fiberfab kit can be assembled with the hood hinges on either side depending on builder preference. But I don’t know of any VW kit with a 5-gallon gas tank as standard. That is definitely a modification. But I do like the trunk fiberglass cover. I may try to fabricate something like that.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

newkitman wrote:

After seening all the photos, my best guess is an early Fiberfab with a modified trunk area. My fiberfab kit can be assembled with the hood hinges on either side depending on builder preference. But I don’t know of any VW kit with a 5-gallon gas tank as standard. That is definitely a modification. But I do like the trunk fiberglass cover. I may try to fabricate something like that.

Not an early FiberFab, since it doesn’t have the exposed steering column… plus that bulkhead down below in the trunk is not the right shape at all. 

KentT2013-06-24 09:28:38

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Another clue – maybe…

I’m having trouble with my windshield (cracked) see other post. Bill (crash55) was kind enough to let me draw around his windshield which is currently off his FF MiGi. It turns out that his windshield is a couple of inches deeper than mine. So I guess FiberFab is out?
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan : Looks like you have a one of a kind.  It definately is not a Fiberfab with the molded rear splash pan. The gas tank looks some what  like a Classic Motor Carriagge tank only smaller. Placement is also like there gas tank.

Might try some dective work with previous owner to locate original builder. Follow the paper trail if possible to builder or possible some one who knew the builder.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.