Hillclimb

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Hillclimb

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thinking I can make one day again…

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That’d be cool. Welcome as always. You might witness David set a class record as he did at Summit Point Memorial Day weekend.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Thanks again for posting your video.
    I just purchased a GoPro myself to make some POV vids of my drives.
    I tried it out on one of my favorites; along the Sangamon River, one of the FEW hilly and twisty roads in central Illinois. I thought I would get some shots similar to yours, but when I watched it, it was, honestly BORING! I needed a different angle. There wasn’t any perception of the hills and turns. It was like a 30 minute drive through the beautiful Illinois corn and bean fields!
    Live and learn! I’ll keep trying, though…

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Go faster!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

OK. This is footage of the Spring Jefferson Time Trials 2016, Memorial Day Weekend. My Go Pro failed, and then David’s threatened to fail when on my car also. This is the only run that we have video from.

https://youtu.be/p-NdzqOF_LQ

Green flag at 2:27.
    edsnova2016-06-16 21:28:23

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Murphys Law:

After going to W VA and racing at the Jefferson Time Trials and returning home without incident, Friday evening I took the car to tech inspection for this weekends Pagoda Hillclimb. Upon leaving, I didn’t make it even one mile. No fuel delivery. It’s starts raining. Cage is on the car so no top. I end up calling a tow truck. They did a nice job of getting the car into the garage and I set to work. And I mean work. The fuel pump circuit keeps blowing its fuse. With the cage on, the doors won’t open so working under the dash was a major pain. Somewhere in the wire back to the pump was a short and it was inaccessible. I ended up drilling a hole behind the driver seat and stuffing a new wire through then back up to the fuse box. Success, about 11:00 I was satisfied. Now I had to pack the truck for the weekend. Up at 5:00, met David, my son, and went to the mountain. Got set up and realized my GoPro was still at work. I called hem to make sure and it was and they volunteered to run it out to me. Wrong case on camera and no mounting adapters. This was the end of the bad luck up to his point. I’ll try to post a link to the video of my third run. Somehow I shaved three seconds off on that run. Unfortunately, there is way too much wind noise, again.

Hope it works.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by billnparts.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, that looks like a nice smooth run.  eh?  Unless my memory has totally left me, it looks like this run up Pagoda is up the back way.  Looks like there are fewer twisties allowing you to get up to a higher speed.  ????

Thanks..

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Great job, Bill! Looks like you were carrying a lot of speed into the “oh shit” section of the course, but you just went through nice and easy. Sorry I missed it.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Very nice, Bill!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ok. Much less wind noise. Enjoy.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

David did it. Class record

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The Hillclimb association posted some vintage footage. Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mhy11p-LTpo

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Looks like around $5,000,000 dollars worth of classic sports cars! Even the VW Beetle would be over $10k!

Some of them took the corner like they were on rails.

Thanks for the look back.

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Guessing 1956 or 57. The Ghia came in ’56 right?

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I think I saw a Bug Eye or 2 in that pack of cars along with a Ghia and a Porsche or 2 !!  But nothing that can compare to BILLINPARTS and his TDr!!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The great Ed Ericson arrived Friday evening and we left early Saturday morning for Mt. Penn. After breakfast Ed got to the workers meeting just in time. He was positioned at Turn 8 with a pair of older women ex drivers. They decorated their post as a gypsy camp complete with crystal ball. Burma Shave style signs advertised palm readings, tarot card readings and such. I’ll let Ed describe the costume he was wearing. Anyway, camera problems left me with no video of Saturday’s runs. A fresh SD card captured the two runs on Sunday. I quit to try avoid the rain. I failed. The sky opened up just as I was finishing hitching up to the truck. My son David, set a new record for ITS. He’s run four events and set new records in three of them. 😀 . I came in last again in Special 2. Damn, its fun. 😀

http://pahillclimb.org/live-results/

Sunday, Run 1

Run 2

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, I have to admire your attitude:  “I came in last again in Special 2. Damn, its fun. 😀”

I wish (I really do) that I could be happy not winning.  It is a character flaw of mine, that I have to be competitive (at least threatening to win) to enjoy whatever I do, whether playing the guitar or the organ, or in sports, or at work, or golf etc, etc.  Heck, I didn’t do a darn thing today, and nobody does nothing better than I do.

Sure sounds like David is tearing ’em up.

I thoroughly enjoy reading of and watching your exploits.  Thanks.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

As its a race against the clock, I am pleased I ran 2 seconds quicker than last year. 😎👍🚗💨

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, did you make any changes to your TDr’s chassis, tires or drive train?    Or, do you attribute your improved times to driving with more practice, skill and derring-do?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Royal.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I removed the windshield and installed a Brooklands.😀

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

And there you have it, folks: proof (as if any were needed) that the Brooklands aero screen is the racer’s edge.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed’s reasoning that the Brooklands is the reason for Bill’s time improvement is certainly simpler than my suggestions….and the simplest solution is usually the right one.

Maybe Ed meant Occam’s Razor’s edge vs racer’s edge???

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

North Carolina Event:

http://www.racer.com/historic/item/137738-svra-adds-hill-climb-event-in-n-c

Incredible roads down there.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Field trip!

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

not this year, but I’m looking forward to Carlisle. Audrey & I will stay over sat & leave sunday

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.