I should know alot more shortley

Home Forums General Discussion I should know alot more shortley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

As i have have stated before.There are many things about my car i do not know.I will find out alot more about it within the next week i hope.I took it to my vw man yesterday with a list of things to check.I should know about the tins,how many horsepower,what year is the engine and much more. Its going to have a tune up,timing set, oil changed ,clutch adjusted.The weather is going to 65 degrees for the next two weeks and i want to get it on the road. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg,

First, you need the VW owner’s bible, “How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot” by John Muir.

Buy it. Now. Go ahead. The forum will be here when you get back.

As far as the engine….the block number is stamped into the block, on the right case half just below the generator pedestal. Write that number down and go here to find out what year it is and additional engine specs:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Paul .

Interesting that Muir doesnt  cover the tins…

and my block  does not have any numbers  below genertor  pedestal either ground off or ???

what  do you think .

thx

YOU need to get  the Dushess on the road  sh eis beautiful ..
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

John,

Just a thought. Check the right engine case half along the top splitline. If it’s a pancake/suitcase engine (squareback, notchback, fastback) Type 3 I believe, the number may be stamped there. I had one come out of a beetle like that where the PO had swapped the engine with what was available to him at the time.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen-thankxs for the info   will do thanx…BTw I did  what Greg is going to do .I took my car to an   old  aircooled V W

shop Silver Lake  in Wilmington  NC . Darrel Philp (28 years experience)  .He brought her up to good running condition (daily)and at a very reasonable price also he  said my tins were fine.

jebarry2012-03-13 13:53:12

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks for the nice comment about my Duchess John!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Paul –she is a beauty … Your Welcome

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.