long drive

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits long drive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ed Service
    Participant

@eddy

how far do most people drive their replica’s?  I’m considering making a trip to Toronto in mine this summer. About 4000 miles round trip, am I nuts?

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

yes.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Eddy,

Of course you’re crazy. We all are!

But that’s irrelevant and does not mean you shouldn’t do it.

My own personal best is only about a 1400 mile round trip.

But back in the days of the New Jersey replicar Club, we had two wonderful gentlemen that lived in NE Pennsylvnia. They each had Chevette powered TD replicas, pulling small motorcycle trailers. Sadly I forget their names, so they will remain “they” in the rest of this note. Even sadder, we have lost them both.

They and their wives…and their TDs…had covered all of the 48 continental states. I recall they had taken at least three cross country trips.

They were retired, they took their time, spent a lot of time off the major interstates, but did hit the highway when necessary, and truly experienced the US and their cars.

They had great stories to tell from the road. My favorite was of crossing Death Valley, with  no A/C and  the tops down. They kept coolers of ice & water, wore pants and long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off and wool caps to stay cool. Yes…wool. The water was partially to drink, but more importantly, those wool hats were often dunked in the ice water, rung out, and put back on, the evaporation acting as their A/C.

While just about all the “tourists” would pull off the road, jump out of their A/Ced cars, take a quick photo, then jump back in, our long distance travelers were able to take their time and really experience America’s hottest desert.

Sorry for the travelogue. But my bottom line…I say go for it!

A footnote, at this year’s Carlisle Import/Kit Car show, the longest distance traveled for an MG replica award went to Bob from NovaScotia, who drove his TF replica 1500 miles one way. 

Send pictures from the road!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like a fun trip. Allow some time for a possible breakdown or two along the way. think of all the people you will meet on the trip.

Carry some spare parts and tools and your best charge  card if needed.

I am thinking of visiting grandkids in Co. I live in Calif. about 2000 + miles. I am retired and could spend some time doing it.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, you’re crazy. And I am jealous. No way Karen would go for this kind of thing. Not yet, anyway. 

There’s a guy in the Speedster group, David Stroud, who has crossed the continent at least thre eor four times with his Speedy. His was air-cooled until last year, when he converted to Subaru power. No AC for him either–he lives in Canada. But he did take the car to Key West last year before heading back up for the Carlisle show.
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I say go for it.  I would be more worried about my 71+ year old body than the TDr, as MiGi’s running gear is pretty great.  

Good luck and as Paul asked, send pics.  
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Eddy,

I’ve no idea where your drive will take you. But I did a quick scan through our car registry.

Here are your fellow Canadians. Maybe you can meet up along your way. 

Bob Cornwall (MIGINova), London, Ontario Canada; 1982 Migi Daytona, ’71 VW,

Phil Kanwischer (Phil), Surrey B.C. Canada; 1983 Fiberfab, VW

Mike Palmer (MikeP), Milton, Ontario, Canada; 1981 London Roadster

Scott Werseen (sw1gr8guy), Lulu Island, British Columbia;1986 Daytona MIGI; VW

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Ed Service
    Participant

@eddy

Well, My wife won’t even ride in the TD! ( no airbags, no head restraints, no legroom, yada, yada)

So I’d be going it myself. She doesn’t even want to go to Ontario in the summer! ( too hot)

My biggest concern is the reliability of a 40 year old VW 1600sp that has had no repairs to it in it’s lifetime that I know of! Who knows how many actual miles are on it, though it seems to run well enough and doesn’t use any oil, valves are staying in adjustment etc.

A long trip is no fun if you are constantly listening intently to your engine!:?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

A compression check of all 4 cyl, and a check of the crankshaft end thrust might make you feel a bit warmer and fuzzier about your engines capability of taking the excursion.  If you are familiar with a vacuum gauge and it’s uses, it would also help diagnose potential problems.  If it doesn’t use any oil and has no obvious running problems, it’s probably fine.

In addition to normal stuff like oil, tools and a fire extinguisher, I would take: spare coil, spare wires/points/plugs/condenser, spare fuel filter, spare gaskets for oil change, generator belt, and air cleaner. Spare tire?

But, I’ve been told that I always take too much stuff.  I always also take hook up wire, iron wire, spare distributor, Gorilla tape, Fix-a-flat (although I have never had any luck with it), and an air compressor.  Don’t laugh, my air compressor got quite a workout by everybody, before they ran the Autocross at Carlisle.

Like Ed, I’m jealous.
    Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I drove between Chicago and Princeton, NJ several times, about 800 miles one way.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Did you suffer from tired butt syndrome when the trip was finished?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Ed Service
    Participant

@eddy

Tired butt would be a bit of a concern! the FF kits don’t have the best chairs in the world!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A nice long, leisurely, solo(quiet) ride. I’m jealous.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

same here. Someday.

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Trips to NJ were over 20 years ago.  There was less force being applied to the butt due to the smaller mass above it than today.  Don’t remembering TBS, but I am sure I would experance it today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.