November 11, 2010 at 9:20 am #233217Bill StuckParticipant
My car has — what I was told is a 1983 or 84 Chevette 1.6L engine. All the parts companies come up with an L shaped hose and mine is a U shaped hose. The dealer has a part number but the part is discontinued and no pictures.
NOTE: The U shape is needed to go around the air system for the emissions system.
The Chilton manual shows a U shaped hose in the cartoon of the cooling system.
Do any of you have an idea on how to find the correct hose?
Chevette owners — what does yours have?November 11, 2010 at 9:35 am #242781edward ericsonParticipant
Any way you could unbolt and discard the A.I.R. pump, which I suspect is the offending bit of “emissions” equipment?November 11, 2010 at 10:11 am #242782Larry MurphyParticipant
Bill, My Chevette based BCW uses a L shaped lower hose. It does not have any of the air stuff so I do not have to go arround it.Really does simplify things in an already crowded engine compartment.November 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm #242783Dan RosaParticipant
Bill Larry has the system I did the same thing and used a flex hose simple . all parts stores have them DanNovember 11, 2010 at 6:58 pm #242784Bill StuckParticipant
Thanks for all of the input. I decided to remove the air pump system. The L shaped hose fit then —- I did need to get a new smaller fan belt. Total fix — less than $15.00. All is well — Thanks
JUST INFO: The reason I needed a new lower hose was because the fan blades were actually hitting the side of the hose at high RPM — Yesterday I had driven to Pensacola ( 60 miles away ) to get the car inspected for a title (That was done). This was the longest drive I had been on and the car only had 104 miles on it when I left the house. On the way back–water showed up on my windshield — the instruments were fine –But I pullled off the road imediately. Found the leak. Let it cool down.
Walked to Walmart — bought a box cutter knife to trim the 7 fan blades, electrical tape, and a gallon of water.
After two unsuccessful tape wrapping tries to stop the leak—I finally got it stopped. Topped the water off again left the radiator cap at the first detent -so the pressure would not build, and drove away. I stopped and checked for leaks about 10 miles down the road — NO LEAKS ( I was pleasently surprised) I checked again at 25 miles and 40 miles. When I arrived at home there still NO LEAKS. This morning- no leaks.
Guess what I’m adding to my emergency tool kit.November 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm #242785edward ericsonParticipant
Way to overcome adversity. If I was you I’d check the front motor mounts though. I don’t think your fan should have ever cut your hose. Bet you got a rotten mount (or two). Also about $15 each, probably, and not as hard to replace as you might first imagine.November 11, 2010 at 8:30 pm #242786Larry MurphyParticipant
Wow!!!! You are getting off to quite a start. It’s easy to see that you don’t give up easily. Things have got to get better soon. It’s amazing what can be done with common sense and the bare minimum of stuff to work with.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.