MGB suspension in FiberFab Ford kit?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits MGB suspension in FiberFab Ford kit?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

@wwmgtdff

I have an unbuilt FF kit with frame for Mustang II setup.  Also have a chance to buy an MGB front suspension (complete) and rear axle.  The appeal of the MG stuff is obvious, but I’m not familiar enough with any of these components (kit, MGB, or Mustang) to know if this is a good mix.

Appeal 1: It’s MG stuff going into an MG replica.  Cool.  Appeal 2: TD replicas often have rims that look too wide, as if they’re trying to escape the fender wells.  The MGB track is 6″ narrower than a stock Mustang II, which might keep those tires well inside the fenders.

Any thoughts?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ve not heard of this but it would seem a simple enough matter: 1. measure your Mustang II rig, paying close attention to all the pickup points.

2. measure your frame rails & cross-member. Make a diagram or drawings of where these two systems intersect. Note stuff like “oil pan” to remind yourself about potential clearance problems with the other kit.

3. Go to the MGB & take the same measurements. Make the same kind of drawings (and steal this one) to the same scale if you can manage that. But if not, just look at the numbers.

See where the two front end systems overlap & where they don’t. If the places they don’t fit can be corrected with a BFH and/or a judicious bit of fabrication, then go for it.

And, please, report your findings.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Apparently you could also narrow your Mustang II setup down to 48 inches, if you wanna.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A lot of work for such little gain. The Ford suspension is far more popular and brake options are endless. Bolt in coil overs are available as well as dropped spindles to easily achieve the stance you require. I have three sets of wheels for mine. 14″ steels, 14″ wires and 15″ steels.  The 14″ steels from a Fairmont keep 195/70R14 tires well within the fenders.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by billnparts.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gene
    Participant

@wwmgtdff

Thanks for the advice, guys.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

I am a firm believer if the KISS method of building do not make it more expensive or complicated

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

One other measurement in addition to those Ed outlines, albeit one that is hard to check prior to assembly.

I suspect bringing the front track in three inches on each side would probably bring the tires into contact with the front fenders.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.