Mirrors

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Mirrors

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@grimsby-mike

My mirrors are too short.  Has anybody found a good replacement? 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

There have been lots of discussions about mirrors. I copied most of this form a couple of my old posts. The search tool is an amazing thing!

The fender mirrors?

On the fenders, I have reproduction style mirrors, but with convex lenses on both sides.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexI D=37025

I strongly recommend item “D”, the convex lenses. I have them on both fenders.

Or the dash rear-view mirror?

Most of our cars came with original style TD dash mirrors.

In a word…they stink. Very little adjustment range. And they are not steady.

I bought a dash mirror from Finish Line for my TD. Broad adjustment range. It as steady as it can be, sitting on a fiberglass dash in a car that is bolted and riveted together!

Item number MR600 on this page:
    http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/default.php?cPa th=42

PMOSSBERG2013-01-29 15:44:59

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I have a couple motorcycle mirrors screwed into the windshield stanchions for extra side-view visibility. The car came with a similar rig, round mirrors, that were clamped to home-made aluminim brackets that I didn’t care for. They could work on just about any TD though. Up for grabs if you’ll pay shipping.

The fender mirrors are not especially effective. Almost all TDs out there have sideviews mounted on or near the windshield.

As for the rear view, I find it’s just fine–but daylight only. There is no night adjust on it & so I’m looking for a clip-on solution.

Maybe a bit of tinted plexi and a rubber band.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

This may be unorthodox, but I found this much more useful than the
    fender mounted mirrors. I just stuck it on the dash for the hell of it,
    and found I had better visibility, so I recessed it for a permanent installation.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

The fender mount mirrors dont work very good. They just look good.I like the way the the dash mount looks above. I will check into it.Right now i use a suction cup mirror that i put on the window above the rear view mirror it works great no body sneeks up on me without me knowing it.I always tell my wife this car has no blind spots.I take it down during shows   

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

I have the same MR600 that Paul has on the dash and it works very well for me. The flat fender mirrors that came with the kit are nearly impossible to get adjusted and I have to be very carefull not to move them when I put my cover on and take it off.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Probably beating a dead horse, but the convex fender mounted mirrors have worked fine for me for 29 years. They are less sensitive to the “perfect” position. And I can see fine to both sides.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@shakey57

Paul I took your advice and ordered my mirrors today. Fender mount convex. Thanks for the info Paul.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I think you’ll be pleased.

It’ll take some time to get them set right. But once set, you’ll be good…until you bump into them while working on the car! The good news there is that the mirror gets tightened to the bracket. So if you hit them, you only have one angle of adjustment to worry about.

The other option….never put your roof up!
    Sure, on some days you be be cooler than this guy… 😎
    But you’ll have great visibility!

(at least years Pumpkin Run it was about 30 degrees F when I left my house…
    …but the roof was down!)

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.