Mystery Panel

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Mystery Panel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hey Everyone,
    I have a panel in my Fiberfab kit that I can’t identify. Any help identifying this thing is greatly appreciated. In case I don’t get the photos loaded correctly, the panel is rectangular and about 3/4 inch deep on the underside and shaped on top like the dash top.
    Thanks

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Disregard the question. Found the answer in the Downlaod Manuals section. My assembly manual was missing a few pages. It’s the windshield defroster duct. Mounts the defroater to the underside of the dash. I guess the defrost air is not heated as it appears the defroster just intakes cabin air.

Allen Caron

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, Thanks for the info,I was abuot to guess that it was a dashboard for a dune buggy.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Had me stumped for a bit. But per the missing page, this is an option on the CMC Fiberfab kit. You have to drill a hole in the center for the defroster blower output, mount the blower and then fiberglass the duct/pabel into the underside of the dash. The top of the dash gets the defroster vents to the windshield. Blower inlet just seems to be from the cabin as there are no instructions about what goes there.

Allen Caron

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, You may already know that the MG’s did not have defrosters. I suspect that the kit manufacturers included the defroster [actually defogger in this case] to comply with state requirements. My London Roadster factory built car has a 3in.vent in the center of the dash . It looks UGLY and serves no purpose since they mounted the blower with the intake flush against the inside of the firewall with no way for it to get any air.I removed the blower and installed it on my BCW where it can do some good bit I’m still left with the big ugly hole with the vent  on the cowl of the other car.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Larry, Didn’t know that MGs didn’t have defrosters. I suspect that is why CMC offered it as an option. In the downloaded pages that I was missing from my assembly manual I cut two 3 inch rectangular slots in the top of the dash ans insert the original VW bug defroster vents there making certain the vents point towards the windshield. I guess it’ll work okay but I dont expect any heat from them.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have a defogger in my Duchess….four round vents (probably an inch or inch and a quarter) along the base of the windshield. And a blower under the dash.

All it does is recirculate the air within the passenger compartment. But it works great. 

Remember guys, most of this has nothing to do with what an original MG TD had. Heck, even heat was optional back then!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul,
    Did the defroster in your Duchess come with the kit or did yopu use a stock late model VW defroster motor? MG Magic has a defroster kit for $80 I think. Need the defroster for cear windshield when it rains me thinks.

Allen Caron

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

About the heat. NGs weren’t the only British cars without heat. I was stationed in Felixstowe, Englad in the late 70s and had a mini coop. It didn’t have heat either. A blower yes but heat….only if I blew hot breath on my hands.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

It is not a VW defroster. Just a simple blower.

Somewhere in the vast recesses of this forum, I think there is a link to the sort of blower I have. I’ll search for it.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

All you need is something like this, wired to an on/off switch

http://www.boatersland.com/att17314.html

Mount it under the dash. Fabricate an adaptor and run hoses to whatever vents you are using along the windshield

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul, I actually have two of those in my shed. I was going to install them in the Ghia but changed my mind for some reason. I evem have the clamps and hoses. Got them on eBay.   Thanks for the info.

Allen Caron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.