Need Grill Shell (repair/replace)

Home Forums General Discussion Need Grill Shell (repair/replace)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

Hi, my name is Gene Jenkins. I?ve been a member since 06 when I bought my BCW Chevette based MG replica. I haven?t been very active since we moved from Fairfax, VA to our retirement home in Keystone Heights, FL. The damage in the picture below happened while I was testing out the tow bar setup in preparation for the move. Well there was a bump where the driveway met the street and the hitch jumped off the ball and the car rolled under the neighbors truck.

I need to repair or replace the chrome grill shell. I found the slats at englishparts.com in Atlanta, but no joy on a shell. Same with MG Magic. Both suggested that I have this one repaired. I took it to the local body shop and got the expected: ? can?t repair it, can?t use Bondo.?  I need either a plating shop or a restoration shop that is used to working on vintage parts. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Gene

n4jee@arrl.net

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hey Gene,

Some ideas on what you could try.  If you’re handy and want to buy some new tools, check out “How to Restore Metal Auto Trim” by Jeff Lilly. His techniques can get you pretty close to straight  on the shell.  Then contact a re-chroming shop, not a body shop,  and see what they say.  Or ask the chrome shop  if they  can do all the work.  You’d be surprised what they can rescue if they’re a good shop.  I’ve used  Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN  with excellent results.  Of course,  it’s  gonna cost $$$$,  so you might think about straightening some of the dents yourself.  It sure wouldn’t hurt to send some e-mails  pics to some of the larger plating businesses and see what comes up.

Good Luck!
    Ringo

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

When it comes to automotive work, I’ve found that it costs me less it I let the professional handle it from the start. I just finished doing as you suggested and emailed photos for estimates. I just added Advanced Plating to the list as well.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Gene, I deleted your duplicate post on this subject as well as the one in Site-Input called “Test”.

Ringo has some good advice. Good luck and let us know how you make out. There are very few platers left here in NJ…If you can;t find a place to repair and replate your shell, let us know.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Gene, you might try Moss Motors in California. They are an orginal parts supply for many English and German antique cars. I thought (could be wrong though) that they had a Chrome Grill Shell for an orginal MGTD. Good luck, please let me know………….Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

gil goltz
    Participant

@sarge

DON’T KNOW MUCH ABOUT MOVING PHOTOS FROM ONE SITE TO ANOTHER, BUT FYI, ON E-BAY (MGTD PARTS) I THINK ITS ON PAGE 4 OR VERY CLOSE. THIER IS A GRILL SHELL POSTED. MIGHT BE WORTH A LOOK SEE.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Gene,

Here is the link to the radiator shell that Sarge mentioned. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp ;item=280322540749&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP :Watchlink:middle:us

Currently at $99 with no reserve price. I’m sure it will go for a lot more.

Rich

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Looking at it I would say you may have more luck cutting that damage section out, shaping a new piece and weld the new piece back on then out to the chrome shop.

New piece would probably be cheaper.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Dave (and others), Moss Motors (or any other vendor for that matter) has not had new TD grille shells for years.

I’ll bet some survive as NOS in unbuilt kits that are getting harder and harder to find.

When the last few shells were available, they brought nearly $1,000. The Moss Motors retail price was in the $550 range if I remember correctly.

I’m also sure some real TD restorers may have a couple, but when you tell them it’s for a fiberglass replica, they’d probably hang up on you!

I just had my grille shell re-plated along with the front and rear bumpers & overriders for $1,000!

Pink MG39890.4325578704

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

Pink MG – Thanks for deleting the extra posts. I was getting an error message and didn’t think the post went through. Needed to update my email address from a couple years ago.

Others – Thanks for the advice. I’ve been getting a lot of quotes all pointing in the $900-$1000 area. I just shipped it to a firm that will strip it and restore it to the original shape for under $200. I’ll fill any imperfections with bondo and have it painted with the car. I plan on selling it when I get it back together. Putting $1000 into fixing the shell when I’ll be luckey to get what I paid for it considering the current market. I might have been better off parting it out.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If anyone is thinking about bidding on the ebay grill posted above…be aware the “nice repair” involved cutting off about an inch from the bottom. This WILL be noticeable when the grill is on a car.

The hole for the starter crank should be a complete circle and end before the true bottom of the grill. Look at Gene’s grill, then look again at the grill on ebay. You will see how much has been cut off.

And be sure to look at the large pictures. There are dents and dings all over the ebay grill.

Gene, if I was going to attempt a restoration, I would start with your grill, not the one on ebay. Your’s is complete. The ebay one is not.

PMOSSBERG39890.6481944444

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

Also the mounting studs for the slats need to be replaced. Don’t know if that’s a big job or not.

Just got another quote of $750 this morning.

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

I have a chrome FF grille w/slats for sale, if you’re interested. I was going to use it on my Daytona but it won’t fit.  Shoot me an email if you’re interested.

fareoh@gmail.com

Pat

fareoh39931.4279861111

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

That’s a great price…Hope Jenkinen reads this post!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.